Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I have been searching for a place to get a key cut from the code for my '82 tall trunk. Well, my search ended today. Another forum member, greghoro, put me on to this place. The guys name is Jim Hamilton, he is a locksmith and his prices are great. He charged me $4.00 + shipping for a key cut from the code. He is very friendly and a biker as well. If you need a key, give him a ring or shoot him an e-mail.

His phone # is (207) 230-4667, e-mail is [email protected] and here is a link to his website: Absolute Lock and Key

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Good to know. I also added it to the quick reference. I should really take out all my ignitions and locks and write down all the codes to them.

Did he require the whole code or just the 3 numbers? Since obviously gas caps and helmet locks don't have anything but the 3 numbers I believe.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know. I also added it to the quick reference. I should really take out all my ignitions and locks and write down all the codes to them.

Did he require the whole code or just the 3 numbers? Since obviously gas caps and helmet locks don't have anything but the 3 numbers I believe.

Funny you should mention that stitch. I just wrote down the key codes for most of that stuff on our bikes. And yes, all he needed was the three numbers. He actually gave me a code that I could give to a local locksmith, but I really doubt that I could have found a better price locally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Stubby, I have just joined the forum.

I received several emails from members today asking about keys and wondered why the interest in CX and CL keys by code. So a big thank you for your kindness.

I am always happy to be of service in anyway i can, lock or key related. If members have any questions i am always happy to answer them, just pick up the phone.

Again thanks mate, it means a great deal to read that folk are happy, i love what i do.

Ride safe.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem Jim, it was great talking to you yesterday. My wife is very excited about getting the key so she can open the top of her trunk. Did you get my e-mail? Also, can you re-key trunk or helmet locks? I have a trunk and fairing pocket with different keys than everything else on the bike, so I have to carry three keys.

---edit---

I just found your e-mail in my spam.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Welcome jim. My bike didnt come with a key. I took off my ignition switch last night and found a 6 digit code. When I get ahold of you to order a key, do I use the whole code? Thanks

Reactions: Montana

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks stubby, I received your email just now, thanks mate.

Providing the key milling is the same i can re-key all your lock to one key. I actually re-keyed several different GL's for a customer so he had one key for all his bike.

I don't suggest it though easily done.

Dak, Thanks for the welcome too.

The last 3 digits are your ignition code. If you wish call me (or email) me tomorrow and i will validate your code for you.

Please remember to lubricate your locks if the bike has been sitting a wee while, then once a year keeps them in great shape.

Tri-flow is a great safe lubricant for all locks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Jim

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Thanks stubby, I received your email just now, thanks mate.

Providing the key milling is the same i can re-key all your lock to one key. I actually re-keyed several different GL's for a customer so he had one key for all his bike.

I don't suggest it though easily done.

Dak, Thanks for the welcome too.

The last 3 digits are your ignition code. If you wish call me (or email) me tomorrow and i will validate your code for you.

Please remember to lubricate your locks if the bike has been sitting a wee while, then once a year keeps them in great shape.

Tri-flow is a great safe lubricant for all locks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Jim

Jim,

I'm curious about the re-keying also. I just bought a cx650 and it has two igntion keys but someone with a drill and a hammer destroyed the gas cap so I had to get another with a different key code and the helmet lock also has a different key. It's missing one right now but I have a key that fits it just fine.

Is it possible for you to give me a rough estimate on how much it would cost to make all items work off one key. Just an estimate. If some are harder than others maybe a guess ranging from x to x dollars.

I'm sure several people would be interested in this service.

The reason I have actually been getting new keys off codes is because I seem to get blemished keys and cut several off it, lose the original and get another cut off the second and eventually the last key looks ugly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Mate, The cost of re-keying locks would depend upon what time is involved.

Generally between $5-$10 per lock. I just re-keyed 3 locks yesterday that turned out to be $15.00+ $6.00 Priority mail.

So i don't charge much.

I don't have overheads like a traditional locksmith shops so i keep my prices fair, besides i ride too.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Jim

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Wow Jim,

You're one hell of a guy. Better prices than I have seen anywhere. I'm going to have to keep you in mind for the winter off season.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know that this is an old(er) thread, but has anyone had a problem with Jim?

I sent him a picture of my key, and he said he'd get the work done for me. Then, I received a message about his equipment not working, and now after over a week - nothing. I sent him another e-mail yesterday and have not received a response.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Try giving him a call. Hes a very nice guy to talk to.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Jim just sent me this e-mail today. Tough break:

Hi Mitch, I am waiting on several parts for my machine.

They are coming from Silca in Italy, so who knows when they will get here. I am overwhelmed at how many folk need keys.

I may actually buy a new key machine.

In the meantime you may want to have you key duplicated, just so you have a spare.

Sorry i don't have any good news mate.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
522 Posts
Wow, my timing is bad. I ordered 2 keys for my C70 Passport yesterday. Good thing I've been doing without a key for weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All, I just thought I would give everyone an update about keys.

I forgot about this thread, though many folk are emailing and calling about having keys made.

The price for two keys cut to code is $14.00 which includes postage around the globe.

If you wish to call, I can be reached at 207 230 4667 (Except Sundays) or email [email protected].

Cheers, Jim

PS I did not want to start another key thread.........

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Ditto, and this needs to be PINNED. Thanks Jim.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Ditto, and this needs to be PINNED. Thanks Jim.

Joel in the Couve
This thread has been in the quick reference for at least 9 months now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.