Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my cx500 for a song. It did not run when i got it but in the last 1 and 1/2 weeks i have put 900 miles on it. The bike has 174747.4 miles on it right now. I have heard these bikes were bullet proof and now i am a believer. The only issues with the bike right now are the intake boots need replaced, they are cracked and sucking in air. The bike is mostly original except for the paint(some one spray painted black over the original red) and i did away with the vetter. my concerns is how to keep this high mileage bike running for a long time. keep in mind that this is the first bike i have ever owned, i have been riding for years but never my own. any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Welcome to the forum, with 175k miles, it's one of the higher mileage bikes on here, if not the highest on this side of the Atlantic. Theres a recent post on here about a bike with 375k miles over in the UK.

You could try liquid electrical tape, you can find it in the electrical supply section of any decent home supply. Brush it on and it seals intake leaks pretty well.

You could also get a bicycle inner tube, slab a little rubber cement on the rubber part of the intake and slip the inner tube over the intake. Trim to size.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You could try liquid electrical tape, you can find it in the electrical supply section of any decent home supply. Brush it on and it seals intake leaks pretty well.
Good stuff, let it dry at least 12 - 24 hours though. Home Depot / Lowe's etc have it.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Before you do anything else, look at the bottom of Blindstich's post, and follow the link to the free factory manual download.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the ideas. While waiting for a reply yesterday I found a pic of the idle screw and fumbled with it for a couple of hours. my dumb ass had it revving really high and the temp almost redlined....after a couple more hours i finally figured it out (i hope). it has been running very well since. once again thank you for all the helpful ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.