Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm about to remove the final (I thought) nut on the left side to remove the turn signal (which is held into the metal fitting), I realized that the wiring for the signal goes through the nut itself and is connected to the fixture. It is not this way on the RIGHT side (and it appears someone has tampered with this before), but I don't need to explain that other than to say--someone drilled some holes.

I know very little about electrical work/wiring. Can I cut the wires, install the rack (which should fit just fine) and then splice them, routing them outside the nut, rather than through?

I didn't fool around with it much but now the left turn signal doesn't work (front bulb lights but is steady and rear does nothing). Did I blow a fuse?

·
Registered
835 Posts
This is one of those cases where a picture will help a lot to show what you are referring to. The lights on a stock 500 will have the wires go through the securing nut, then through the actual 'holder' for the signal light. How the rack fits in is what confuses me, as one side was set up different than the other.

Splicing a wire back together is easy enough. Just make sure you have enough material (wire) to remake the connection. A drop of solder is better than using 'quick connectors' or marretts. Just make sure that the finished project is protected from making shorts with sufficient cover (either shrink wrap or electrical tape).

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Why don't you unplug the wires from the bike under the seat area. They are color coded. What could be more simple than that.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was definitely simpler. Thanks Stitch. I'm not mechanically trained we'll say but I seem capable of learning or figuring certain things out (I also fixed the kitchen sink tonight---no forum involvement, ha).

It seems like a pretty complicated way to do it, but whatever, it's on and the signals work now (I had just disconnected one of the wires apparently).

This part was a PAIN in the ASS! Had to use vice grips to re-close it!:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.