Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I just brought home my new project...a 82' GL500. The bike didn't run and its condition was unknown, but I'm a sucker for a deal. So 180.oo dollars later its in my garage. I did all the normal checks and running through the systems...all is looking good got the engine turning over. Pulled the valve covers pulled the plugs and put some oil on the top end and spun it over...No oil pressure..none. Spin ...spin...spin. No flow to the top of the heads. Is there a trick to prime the oil pump. Any ideas before I pull the front cover?

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Pull the filter off, cut it apart and see what shows up in it. If there's a bunch of metal flacks in there then your in for a new motor probably. It may be possible the oil chain broke. That would be a RARE thing though. Was the oil in there still clean or did it have water in it making it a cream color? If it sat with water in the oil it may have rusted up the oil passages.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it looks like a motor will be in order. I pulled off the front cover because after close investigation it looked like a new gaskit between the front cover and the case. When I pulled off the cover I noticed that there was only two of the three collars in place and one o ring missing. This happened to be the one at the oil pump. So I removed the oil pump and found the missing o ring in the screen and there was a lot of bearing material in the screen. Joy! So..... I'm looking for a nice 82' model engine to go in and I'll pull this one apart and see how much is hurt as a side project. If any one has a good engine thats ready to drop in let me know....

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Exactly which ones do you need?

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
I think I can come up with those. Hit the email button and send me your address.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.