Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have made a start on the £200 pile of crap I bought. Chopped back end off. Grafting in a NTV650 single sided swing arm

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
We've seen this before, though it's still an impressive challenge. Is this the donor swingarm that has the hypoid gear running backward?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
This is the one I was thinking of.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
So, reading through that thread, I learned that the NTV650 final drive uses a bevel gear, rather than a hypoid gear, so the direction of rotation shouldn't be an issue.

Randall

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In reply to a couple of comments. Nivagc on his build claimed that the NTV was a straight cut gear rear drive and so no problem flipping the arm 180 degrees and running backwards. This is not the case and I don’t know why he said it. It is in fact a spiral bevel gear like the CX. So yes it will be running in the opposite direction to how it was designed. This is not ideal but I am will to give it a go on what will be a limited use motorcycle. Plenty of other vehicles have run a spiral bevel gear final drive “in reverse” and if it gets noisy / wears out/ explodes I can just replace it.
Somebody asked about the gear box output and the drive shaft. The output shaft is the same on both bikes , but I will need to swap the end yokes as the shaft is a little too short .

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I didn't intend to disparage your project. I just wanted to point out what could be a potential headache for you.
This is an interesting project that I wish I had the tools and skills for. I'll be interested to see how that final drive performs.

Randall

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m sure it will be a massive headache , it already is. But in my head at lest I think I have a solution to most problems

·
Registered
24,142 Posts
looks like fun
i would put a magnetic chip detector in the final drive drain hole with a warning light on the dash
it might save you from a catastrophic failure that could dump you from rear wheel lock up
just like a tail rotor chip detector or turbine enginewarniung light in a airplane

·
Registered
138 Posts
Out of curiosity, why go with the NTV swingarm instead of a BMW arm? The 1150 swingarm is narrower and already in the right orientation and designed to work with a direct shock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because it’s the same wheelbase, same output shaft from gearbox, same mounting pivots although further apart. I’d be interested to look at the BMW unit though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts