Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 CX500 Custom with 6200 miles. I had my friend, who's more mechanically inclined help with the purchase/vetting.
It's my second bike (first was a 2014 CB300F). I have 2 years of riding experience total.
My goal with the CX500 was something that I could ride day one, but really learn motorcycles inside and out, including general maintenance (wife says I need a new hobby).

Outside of the basics they taught at moto school, I know 0 mechanically about motorcycles.
So my questions are pretty simple:

• Which websites or books should I be reading? (the more visual, the better)
  • What problems should I be on the look out for, given the milage/age of the bike? I'm aware of the triple bypass, but that seems a bit out of my comfort zone at this point.
  • What questions should I be asking that I'm not?

Thanks in advance! Look forward to being a part of this community for some time to come.

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's correct model & year of manufacture to your signature (see link in my signature).

Start by going to the CX Wiki (link in my signature) and reading everything there. While you are there download the Factory Service Manual for your bike and go through it.

You may have thought you were just getting a cheap old bike but what you actually have is a 35 year old antique vehicle that has had who knows how many Previous Owners who may or may not have done the necessary maintenance & repairs to keep it safe & reliable. Because of that it is recommended to perform every maintenance procedure listed in the FSM for every service interval, regardless of what your bike's odometer says (6,200 miles in 35 years means either it has been left unused for years at a time or it is really 106,200 or maybe the speedometer has been replaced).

With a bike that old with that little mileage the first thing you should read (if you haven't already) is the date codes on the tires. It is possible that they are original but even if they aren't they could be very old (5 years is the recommended replacement age). And speaking of old rubber, if it still has the original rubber brake lines they are about 20 years past their best before date so you should consider replacing them with stainless braided ones that should last forever.

Oh, and BTW: :vs_pics:

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
And let's not forget to pick up a copy of Larry's Carb book (link below). It will provide every single thing you need to know about the carbs on these bikes.

This forum alone would classify the only read you need, but that's only because the members here over the decades have put their knowledge and experience "on paper" here. Happy reading, and happy riding.
Welcome aboard.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. I did not expect all this input in under 24 hours. Thanks! Keep'em coming. Pictures from the listing below (haven't had time to snap my own). Honda CX500-3.jpg Honda CX500-2.jpg Honda CX500.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow. I did not expect all this input in under 24 hours. Thanks! Keep'em coming.
That is one reason this place is a great start for your reading. If you every get stumped by something the community here is very quick to jump in and offer suggestions and help. With a little searching though you can often find where others asked the question and already got answers :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Probably the best advice I can offer is - use the search function inn the top right corner of the page. That way you find answers to any query in your own time - there really is no situation or issue with these bikes that has not been covered in depth before and that information is archived away. Thats why Forums are much better than facebook pages - you can access that information easily yourself.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Probably the best advice I can offer is - use the search function inn the top right corner of the page. That way you find answers to any query in your own time - there really is no situation or issue with these bikes that has not been covered in depth before and that information is archived away. Thats why Forums are much better than facebook pages - you can access that information easily yourself.
Only trouble now is the large number of places missing the pictures. Will take some time before a lot of that gets repaired, and hopefully photobucket will die a nice painful death it deserves.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
As said, this forum is chock full of just about anything to do with the CX/GL/Turbo's. Being a worldwide group of people here will usually get you a reply well before the 24th hour, often just minutes......there is always someone on here 24/7/365 and leap years.

Facebook's various CX groups are relatively new, and that has actually spawned a lot of new members here. This forum stands above just about any other type of forum, and there is none of the extraneous bull sh**, and egotistic structure.

Get AdBlocker Plus, and then you won't be flooded with the ads and whatnot. Also bookmark JC's great site (sort of a adjunct to the FSM with a broader network). https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ramprat06;766242 Facebook's various CX groups are relatively new said:
https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/[/url]
I already had it. Turned it off to see the difference... Holy crap. Still, is there a way to donate to the forum to compensate them for the loss of ad rev from me? If this forum is as active as it appears, it looks like it will be an invaluable resource. Want to contribute to the community!

·
Super Moderator
3,264 Posts
I already had it. Turned it off to see the difference... Holy crap. Still, is there a way to donate to the forum to compensate them for the loss of ad rev from me? If this forum is as active as it appears, it looks like it will be an invaluable resource. Want to contribute to the community!
The forum is owned by Verticalscope, a company that owns thousands of online forums and is valued at hundreds of millions USD - makes plenty of money from the forums it owns. Best way to contribute IMHO is to participate actively in the community :)

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Boy, I must have spaced out the last post [email protected] **edit since JC beat me to it**

Yes, this forum is very active and is an immense value, and having said that, no, there is no donation function (money wise). VS runs tons of web forums besides ours so the revenue stream loss for ad blocks is minimal. Your contribution will be your presence and being a part of our community.

This forum has gone through many changes over the years, and I could go on for a long time telling the story, as I know it. Short story: Chopper Charles took over this site from his father, Dick in Raleigh. Charles was running it until a few years ago (with some donations) when he "sold" it to Forum Foundry. They took on all the costs and associated ownership functions. Then a few years ago it was taken over by the current owners, VerticalScope.
The core values have never really changed, as far as the membership goes. The VS folks are very active and involved in how we run things, and pretty quick at responding to questions or problems.

Here is a list of the current Staff/Leaders for the forum. Show Groups - Honda CX500 & GL500 Forum

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's a very good looking bike, one of the more tasteful builds I've seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts