Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Starting out real strong. Picked up a 1980 cx500 custom for cheap yesterday, and left the petcock on overnight (9 hours). bike1.JPG bike2.JPG bike3.JPG

Looks like some fuel has leaked. I checked the oil and it was pretty low, below the crosses on the dipstick so I dont think too much leaked into there.

Is this a problem?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,783 Posts
If you think fuel has run through the motor into the oil change the oil.

Take the spark plugs out and let the fuel in the cylinders evaporate.

Find out why the carbs overflows didn't do their jobs.

Find out why the float needles didn't do their jobs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The most common cause of that is a stuck Float on one of the Carbs. I was once having Breakfast at a local Diner, when a guy came in and asked if that was my Bike outside. He said it was leaking Gas pretty good. Sure enough, one of the over flow tubes was doing it's job. I just turned the Gas off, took that Carb Bowl off, Float and Pin out, wiped everything clean, put it back together, flipped the Float up and down a few times, and that solved the problem. It really SUCKS sometimes when something so simple goes wrong. But at least simple things are the cheapest and easiest to fix.

·
Super Moderator
14,060 Posts
Unless you smell fuel in the oil or have a puddle under the bike you probably don't have a problem. If the float valves in the carbs are doing their jobs properly fuel won't get past them whether teh petcock is turned off or not. I never turn my petcock off unless I am going to remove the tank from the bike.

BTW: What do you need the 18mm socket for? I don't think I have ever used one....

·
Super Moderator
14,060 Posts
I didn't think of the spark plug. I wondered if he thought the inspection covers were 18mm instead of 17mm.

Looking at those pics again, it looks to me like there is oil leaking from either the drain plug, the oil filter housing or the clutch cover and being spread by the wind. Those wet areas have dirt in them that doesn't look like it happened in one overnight. Run your finger through it and see what it smells like; I'd bet it doesn't smell like gas.....

·
Super Moderator
3,889 Posts
If " I checked the oil and it was pretty low, below the crosses on the dipstick" then top up the oil too.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
That looks like oil leak to me too. Did you actually smell gas?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Personal experience, you can use gas to clean off oil, but the reverse doesn't work.
That looks like an oil leak. If it was a gas leak, that would be cleaner than any other part on that motor.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My engine looks like that! lol... Front cover has a crack inside where the oil filter goes and evidently twists when I tighten it and never lets the oil filter seal tightly. Just makes a sludgy spot after awhile. Luckily I finally got around to getting a replacement cover and lots of other parts for under the front cover. Maybe it'll stay nice and clean now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts