Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I have recently acquired a 1980 CX500 Custom with Vetter fairing. Its definitely in need of love and no where near road ready. Most urgently she needs keys, battery, ignition button, front brake fluid resivoir assembly, and mirrors. The brakes need to be bled and the windshield has a crack.

I have managed to remove the helmet lock that has the key code stamped on the back of the casing so now I just need to find a reputable locksmith.

I was hoping someone could direct me to a reliable source for parts either online or in the Flint, Michigan area?

IMG_20180513_122736.jpg IMG_20180513_122747.jpg

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Welcome in our circle. Enjoy the assisted repairs and the safe rides. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I managed to find a local locksmith that made me a key. I also bought a battery only to find out that the existing negative lead was so badly corroded/rusted that the connection had the old battery terminal fused to it. So I ordered a new wire online and it should be arriving in a few days

As for the helmet box lock, I'm going to have to replace the lock along with the other two on the fairing but I am contemplating removing the fairing and box altogether.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
For good replacement mirrors, I went to the Harley shop and asked if they had any "take offs" available and got a pair for $20.
They have a better Chrome coat and thick adjustable stalks and are rectangular so also give a wider view on both sides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts