Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Just picked up an 81 CX500 Custom in red, 13k miles. Haven't given it the complete going over yet, but things don't look to bad... so far. LOL Obvious repairs include a rear signal bulb, frt tire, resurface brake rotor and the usual fresh gas, clean carbs, tune-up and fluid changes. Think I'll get the gas, carbs, fluids and bulb done and get some riding in before the weather gets to cold, then giver the once over this winter.

I'll try getting pics soon.

Later

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Welcome to the family/forum! How long has the bike sat before you got it? Have you had it running yet?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the family/forum! How long has the bike sat before you got it? Have you had it running yet?
The guy could'nt remember if it's been 1.5 or 2 years. But with a new battery she fired up and drove out pretty decent once it warmed up some.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
now the question is how much was it?? and it sounds like a good buy for a running bike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... I traded my old tool box for the bike and $500. So I figure the $500 will cover repairs, title, transfer plate, year insurance and maybe a few tanks of fuel. Guess I paid nothing
which is very cool, cause I never find deals like this. First time for every thing.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I suppose that's a great deal depending on what you mean by an old tool box.

The 500 Custom has a great feeling to it and while you'll probably find a ton of little things you'll want to tweak on it, once you're done it's going to last you a long time. If you aren't used to larger bikes take time learning to ride it SLOWLY in a parking lot. All of the CX/GL bikes are claimed to be a bit top heavy so you want to get used to driving it under slow conditions. I never did notice this and came from owning dirt bikes 99% of the time but I do feel that I benefitted by spending some obstacle course time with it early on.

Be sure to go through the normal checklist for tires and all the suggested maintenance mentioned in the owners manual - assume the PO talked big but knew nothing as as stout as these bikes are they can tend to hide little adjustments that should be made or items that need to be replaced. Somewhere in these forums is a thread called CX500 checklist I'd suggest you go through.

I saw a mint looking fully dressed Silver Interstate yesterday with a for sale sign on it but it was on a busy street and I was in a hurry. Think I'm going by there again today to verify that it's a 500 or 650, from my flashing pass it didn't appear to be a full Gold Wing. God help me if it's a 650i in that kind of shape, has a good price and he'll take half down in cash to hold it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks marshall, lots of good advice there. The box was a 20+ year old snap-on in working order but well used. I had it on Craigs list for a few months, dropping the price every few weeks and never even got a nibble. So put an ad in the bike section "I want your bike" mentioned trading the box and 3 days later we were making the deal.

I've been riding off and on for about 30 years and just re-took the MSSC. What a blast I had riding this Yamaha TW200, was almost scraping the pegs and those knobbies never let loose. Fun fun fun, best $25 I've spent in quite awhile.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've been riding off and on for about 30 years and just re-took the MSSC. What a blast I had riding this Yamaha TW200, was almost scraping the pegs and those knobbies never let loose. Fun fun fun, best $25 I've spent in quite awhile.

Around here the course sets you back over $200. The alternative is, in addition to passing the written exam, you've got to take the driving course test. To do this you've got to trailer in your own bike (or have someone with an M certification bring it for you) so I never bothered since there's no insurance discount involved, just a ticket if you're pulled over. I started riding minibikes 48 years ago. When they first came up with the idea they grandfathered in some people but then later made it mandatory. In this state, if they can see ANY way to collect yet another fee they'll do it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hope you get your cx up and running.  Is that a Vstrom in your avatar?  I'll be interested to hear how you like the CX compared with that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Around here the course sets you back over $200. The alternative is, in addition to passing the written exam, you've got to take the driving course test. To do this you've got to trailer in your own bike (or have someone with an M certification bring it for you) so I never bothered since there's no insurance discount involved, just a ticket if you're pulled over. I started riding minibikes 48 years ago. When they first came up with the idea they grandfathered in some people but then later made it mandatory. In this state, if they can see ANY way to collect yet another fee they'll do it.

Michigan's use to run $225 or $325 now I don't recall the particulars but I think it came down to the State being held responsible if somebody couldn't afford the class, went out and got themselves killed on a bike.

I think we can still do it like you guys, but I'm not sure. I was talking with one of the instructors at class, he said they several older married couples that take the class every year. They don't own bikes and never plan on buying any, they just come up and ride the collage bikes for a week for $25 and that holds em over till next year. LOL Sound like some pretty smart cookies to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum, hope you get your cx up and running.  Is that a Vstrom in your avatar?  I'll be interested to hear how you like the CX compared with that.
Thanks, hope I can beat the weather. Yep thats my old? bike 08 DL650 Vstrom. Only thing I didn't like about it was the payment and high center of gravity. Only got a couple miles on the CX but for around town and the back roads I'm sure the CX is gonna be more fun. I'll miss the power of the strom... and maybe the fuel injection on those cooler mornings but the price and fun factor goes with the CX so far. Oh and the sound, CX all the way baby!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
You might be surprised as far as the cold mornings go, if your carbs are nice and clean it's just a matter of some choke for a few minutes and you're good to go. I generally ride until the low 40's, (after that I'm too much of a wuss and it's just not that fun) but it starts right up with maybe 3/4 choke and after maybe 5 minutes of riding I can fully push the choke off.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
wow only around 40 degrees and you pack it in? i ride 365 i dont care the temp out side as long as there is no ice on the ground i am good to go i have even rode in the snow.....the looks i got it was great

·
Registered
209 Posts
Snow is always fun/scary lol. Moments where you life flashes before your eyes and then you overcome whatever it is. A joyful/sinister laugh always helps too

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow only around 40 degrees and you pack it in? i ride 365 i dont care the temp out side as long as there is no ice on the ground i am good to go i have even rode in the snow.....the looks i got it was great
If I lived in kingman Az I'd ride 365 also. LOL

Up here in MitchEgan our high winter temps are lower than your low winter temps, which is a good thing. Cause with cold temps come SNOOOOW and snowmobiling
My screen name may give me away as a winter fan

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i can belive your temps are alot lower than ours but once a year we do get snow that stays around for a couple of days hell were only at 3300 feet here so it is rare for snow to come all the time during winter but it does happen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts