Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Recently purchased a 1981 GL500 Silverwing Interstate

Primarily will be using it for commuting, very impressed with it so far.

Located in Linn County, Kansas.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Howdy, Ukks,

Glad to see another Kansan hereabouts. If you have any questions, it would help to put your bike model and year in your signature so others won't have to ask. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If you could share some pictures of her, you would please my eyes plenty!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
:vs_pics::vs_pics:

Welcome to your new addiction!

·
Super Moderator
13,462 Posts
Welcome to the world of Antique Vehicles. Your "new" bike has had 36 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done any of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so unless you like ticking time bombs you need to download the Factory Service Manual from the CX Wiki (link in my signature) and go through every service procedure listed, even if your bike hasn't reached that mileage yet. Then look on every rubber part with suspicion because even the best synthetic rubber deteriorates after a few years of exposure to light & air. Start by checking the date codes on the tires (replace them if they are more than 5 years old no matter how much tread is left) and if it has a rubber brake line consider that it is probably original and should have been replaced over 30 years ago (they are only good for 5-6 years) and that stainless braided lines cost less than new rubber ones and last forever unless physically damaged. Then there are the rad hoses (do you really want to take a chance of getting sprayed with hot coolant?

The really good news is that once you have done the necessary work it can become a safe & reliable machine for many years to come and that you have come to the best place to get information about what you need to do and how to do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the warm welcome and very helpful advice - it is much appreciated.

I will get some pics this weekend, here is one to whet your appetite

Screenshot_20170815-090904.png

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple of "arty" shots from the weekend. Saturday's storm did its best to disrupt me, the bike was knocked over and the brake lever snapped. Following the great advice here, new tires are ordered and on the way.
Should be back up and running this weekend.

20171015_092347-EFFECTS.jpg
20171015_092328-EFFECTS.jpg

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Awe man! Beautiful! Sorry to hear about the brake lever... Guess it could have been worse. Great looking bike though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts