Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured since I have already posted my first post I should introduce myself.

I'm from Newcastle Ontario Can,45 min east of the center of the world(Toronto)(or so some of them think)

Just picked up a 83 GL650i.with supposedly 14,650 k's,not really going to do much with it this year as season is drawing to an end(Nov 30 for me)

I am still riding my 78 cb550k right now ..

I did have a 84 cx650e(close to mint) 6 years ago and stupidly sold it for an 84 BMW r80rt

I liked the 650e so thought I should enjoy the 650i.

Does any one have a link to a user manual,I have already found the service manuals etc.

Have to figure out the forum before I can insert pics ,looks to be a bit different then some of the other forums I'm on.

SOHC.net GMC Terrain forum

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Welcome fellow canuck.

As for user manual, are you referring to the "Owners Manual"?

Third topic down in this forum of "General Discussion" (pinned) is a Quick Reference

thread, posted by Blindstitch if you have not already

been there, check it out.

This is "the" forum for CX/GL owners.

Snowed here in Alberta today, season looks to be close to its end now.

Good luck with your new to you 650.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Welcome tjjkc! A good group here but a little slower than the sohc site.

First snow of the season here today too.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Welcome tjjkc! A good group here but a little slower than the sohc site.

First snow of the season here today too.

Who ya calling slow?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks............Gentlemen...........I did check out the Quick reference......someone spent a bit of time on that ,and I will say thank to them.

Couldn't find a Owners Manual(the one that comes with the bike) but will look again.

It was about 18 C here today ,no snow but those leaves get pretty slippery when wet,Had a little reminder around a corner,front end washed out a bit.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Thanks............Gentlemen...........I did check out the Quick reference......someone spent a bit of time on that ,and I will say thank to them.

Couldn't find a Owners Manual(the one that comes with the bike) but will look again.

It was about 18 C here today ,no snow but those leaves get pretty slippery when wet,Had a little reminder around a corner,front end washed out a bit.

Did you check that reference thread under "Drop i.o."? I seem to recall Owners manuals there, as well as service,parts

manuals etc. That reference section would make your local Honda dealership Service department jealous.

BTW did you enjoy your GL 1000's? I think mine is a keeper in my little fleet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Trickster....just checked the drop again,unless my progressive-focal s(Glasses) are deceiving me all I could see was an owners manual for cx500tc and 81 GL500(which would probably be usable)

I did like my Gl1000,lots of room Vetter,fairing/lowers,bags and beer box,good low end umpf,was stable at speed,low center of gravity,

With that big engine and fuel tank so low it cornered surprisingly nice,and the low weight made slow "U" turns real easy,I also found that with the low weight I could lift it back to the up rite position quite easy.(forgot to put my feet down at the top of my driveway)

The only real complaint that I had with it was the skinny front tire when stopping in the rain.....

Worst problem I had was when replacing the timing belts I snapped a cover bolt...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hi Trickster....just checked the drop again,unless my progressive-focal s(Glasses) are deceiving me all I could see was an owners manual for cx500tc and 81 GL500(which would probably be usable)

I did like my Gl1000,lots of room Vetter,fairing/lowers,bags and beer box,good low end umpf,was stable at speed,low center of gravity,

With that big engine and fuel tank so low it cornered surprisingly nice,and the low weight made slow "U" turns real easy,I also found that with the low weight I could lift it back to the up rite position quite easy.(forgot to put my feet down at the top of my driveway)

The only real complaint that I had with it was the skinny front tire when stopping in the rain.....

Worst problem I had was when replacing the timing belts I snapped a cover bolt...

If that was your worst problem, then life was good with GL1000's

This past summer I over torqued a valve cover bolt and broke it off, managed to be a quick and easy removal,

but replacement bolts were the challenge. One local dealership had none, the other had 2, so I bought both.

Stupid thing was my torque wrench was on the ground next to the bike, when I was just tightening up the bolt a little

before setting it with the torque wrench.

Old bolts can be fatigued from time and PO strong arming them in the past. Lesson # 598 was learned that day.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Congratulations on your new motorcycle and welcome to the forum. Why did you get rid of your first GL650e? Jeez, I drool over those "e" model bikes. I think they were not sold in USA, only Canada.

·
Registered
745 Posts
WELCOME,i have a gl650,,,,and any thing i do to this bike i ask,,,alot of info here already

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congratulations on your new motorcycle and welcome to the forum. Why did you get rid of your first GL650e? Jeez, I drool over those "e" model bikes. I think they were not sold in USA, only Canada.

I had a GL1000,and moved closer to work (still had 25 km's one way) so I did not think that I needed the protection of the faring so I bought the 650e,but come the end of November and getting to be 0 degrees C(32 F)I found it a bit chilly and missed the full protection,soooooooo I sold the 650 and bought a full faringed BMW r80rt...never even thought about having more then one bike
,I do now though. I do regret selling it,I've regretted selling a few bikes,that I have had.........live and learn.........Maybe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts