Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i am the new owner of a 1983 cx 650t , my father bought it brand new and it has been sitting for about 22 years .
I changed the engine oil and fillter made a new foam air filter drained the fuel tank but new fuel in it a new battery also.
bike would not start i check the fuel presure by removing the ckeck bolt and that was good. I put some starting fuid into the 2 8 mm intake acces bolts and bike would run
so it must be the injectors? I do have the fctory service manual for it as my father was a sevice manager for honda for 25 years. bike ran when it was parked any advice would be a great help
thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You have spark, I would clean the carb first and check the filter in the tank. The petcock may be shot.
Ev.
MI.
82 gl500i

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
there is a component in the tail section - that will tell you what you need to look at - you might also need to be able to interpret the led/codes it displays. I would advise a full read of the service manual if you can get your hands on one, and concentrate on the system information you can gather for your bikes symptoms, then a simple diagnosis may follow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are the carburator bowls getting fuel? Pull a sparkplug to see if you smell fuel on the plug(s). The vacuum operation feature of the petcock may not be letting any fuel get to the carbs. If you have a hand operated vacuum pump you can use it to prime the carbs by attaching to the smaller hose at the petcock valve.
Rich

·
Registered
496 Posts
The turbo's carburetors have a very difficult time getting fuel since they are still on the drawing board of the engineer who designed the bike. Note there is a big red x through them as they went with fuel injection after all...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
yes - the fuel injection would be a good place to start turn the ignition on - then get your head close to one of the injectors and twist the throttle- you should hear it click - if it doesn't it may not be getting power to it - and even if it does - then it may b e gummed up and need a service..... - these are easy enough to remove and to get serviced - just be extra careful with them... test both sides.... A multimeter will be your close friend for a while - get to know him well - and how to use him..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well,
I see I read the post wrong. I didn't catch the fact it was the turbo model. My Bad! No carbs ehh?
Rich

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
no problems RichD, shows you are willing to lend a hand - which is great :)

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts
I moved this into the Turbo section for clarity.

Joel in the Couve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts