1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wow that's sexy

·
Registered
122 Posts
At least there is one company still making real motorcycles. I hate that all the bikes look alike these days. It's either a crotch rocket or a Harley copy. I don't want either. Nice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Moto Guzzi in 2009 came out with the V7 Classic. Nice bike with a retro look. My sister bought one so I have had the chance to ride one. It may look similar to the CX with the engine design but it is very different. A lot of this bike is plastic, tank included, to keep weight down. I don't think they have updated the engine much other that adding fuel injection as it still gives you a healthy feel of torque as you hit the throttle. I don't mean that the bike takes off real fast just that it you feel the engine twisting the frame. Something you don't feel on the Honda. Overall the bike is nice gets great fuel milage. Personally I like my Cx better but that's just me.

·
Registered
546 Posts
At least there is one company still making real motorcycles. I hate that all the bikes look alike these days. It's either a crotch rocket or a Harley copy. I don't want either. Nice.

We just got a Royal Enfield dealer here:

Made in India I believe.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Those Enfields look nice, but nobody's actually going to ride them, are they?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just bought a 2005 with a cozy sidecar. It's not fast, no electric start, lousy brakes, just what you would expect from a 1950's motorcycle. That said, the brakes are irrelevent because there is so much engine braking. The bike is slow, like 50 tops, I think the sprockets have been changed to maximise the torque while hauling the the side car. But I took it for a ride on the back roads with my son on the back and my wife in the side car and it's.......nice. Cruised over to winter park for an ice cream, people were gawking at it, congraulating me on an excellent restoration. Best three grand I have ever spent. The bike runs perfect, needs maintenance to keep it interesting. The only thing I don't like is that it won't fit on my lift. Oh well. Even the wife has expressed interest in learning how to ride it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I love that guzzi, gives me some ideas for a future rebuild

As for the enfields there cheaper in oz than allot of other importerd bikes but have not really improved in 50 years

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah a shop in town here is a dealer for the Enfields. I sat on one at the shop. It feels really small, but in a good way. If I had an spare 5 grand I would definitely grab one. Perfect for around town here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Things that stick out to me...

1. Blacked out engine

2. Air cooled

3. Looks to be 90-degree engine - heads stick waaaaay out

4. Non-chrome exhaust with header tape wrapped on them

5. Oil pan sticks way below the crankshaft

6. Decent size fuel tank

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
The RE's are nice. They have a kick start that you don't have to kick the crap out of. You just push the kickstart to a certain point and turn a knob it releases all the air pressure in the cylinder and then you have an easy kick start.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't care if the Guzzi is plastic - I like the way it looks! As for the Enfield's, I could really fall in like with them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have always liked the this style, very vintage/retro. The Royal Enfields are nice, but I really dig the "new" Triumph Scrambler.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
drummertom said:
MAN!! A V-twin sitting sideways in a motorcycle!!!What a concept! Why didn't someone think of that earlier

The Guzzi came out WAY before the CX did, the V7 models date back to the early 60's, consumer versions a little later. The Triumphs and many of the "old school" bikes seem to be selling well, it seems like more of them on the road. I don't know if it's a regional thing, but every other college student around here who rides a bike is on a Ducati it seems.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have always liked the this style, very vintage/retro. The Royal Enfields are nice, but I really dig the "new" Triumph Scrambler.
I sat on one, the thing was beautiful. I would burn the crap out of my leg though.. impossible to avoid those pipes!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I sat on one, the thing was beautiful. I would burn the crap out of my leg though.. impossible to avoid those pipes!

I thought almost all RE's were diesel engines, i know some are gasoline but i thought a good 90% were the diesel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I weren't so old, I'd buy a new bike and it would be a Triumph Bonney. Great English bike looks and handling, modern fuel management and electics.

The 800+ cc engine is smooth enough with plenty of go power and the bike feels right, a great ride in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts