Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not seen a New Mexico post on here. I live in Las Cruces New Mexico (near El Paso Texas). Ended up with this 1980 CX 500 Deluxe 5 years ago or so. Just starting to get it road worthy. Anyone else from New Mexico on here?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
We are all close to you if you count the internet. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ken in Albuquerque. I have an '83 GL650. Unfortunately, I took it apart for a triple bypass and never got around to putting it back together. I think I have all the replacement parts to put it back together but I kinda lost interest after I had to order parts from all over the world. I know that once I get it back together, I'll only have 30 to 50 thousand miles of enjoyment before I'll have to do this again. By that time, these replacement parts probably won't be available anywhere.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Ken in Albuquerque. I have an '83 GL650. Unfortunately, I took it apart for a triple bypass and never got around to putting it back together. I think I have all the replacement parts to put it back together but I kinda lost interest after I had to order parts from all over the world. I know that once I get it back together, I'll only have 30 to 50 thousand miles of enjoyment before I'll have to do this again. By that time, these replacement parts probably won't be available anywhere.
I'm not sure i follow your thought process Kenny? :p

Singer Smoking Speech Gesture

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have not seen a New Mexico post on here. I live in Las Cruces New Mexico (near El Paso Texas). Ended up with this 1980 CX 500 Deluxe 5 years ago or so. Just starting to get it road worthy. Anyone else from New Mexico on here?
Got some relatives in Gallup

·
Registered
1979 Honda CX500 Custom
20 Posts
Albuquerque here. Two 1979 CX500's. Both undergoing surgery. One is a cafe racer and the other is stock. The stock one was purchased as a basket case to serve as a parts bike for the cafe racer, but it ended up being in better shape, so I'm putting it back together. I used to think the stock CX500 was an ugly bike, but I really like them a lot now. More than the cafe racers!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You've come back from the "Dark Side"... :D Just kidding, as long bike is done safely and not carving up a pristine original i'm good with it.

·
Registered
1979 Honda CX500 Custom
20 Posts
This is the stock one I'm rebuilding. I'm so close. After this pic, I reinstalled the carbs and exhaust.

The cafe racer is a constant work in progress/thorn in my side. I don't know when I'll ever finish it. Especially now that I'm working on the stock bike. I'm thinking if I invest in a set of Murray's Carbs, that would really get the cafe racer off the ground.

·
Registered
1979 Honda CX500 Custom
20 Posts
Some of us are in Albuquerque. Not sure if the others follow the forum though. Got two bikes, an 82 GL500 I ride and a 78 CX500 I'm working on rebuilding this year
How far along are you on the '78 rebuild?

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
126 Posts
How far along are you on the '78 rebuild?
I would say that I'm about twenty percent along. Going to be awhile yet. Still have to complete the frame and rebuild the engine. Trying to solve a few problems on the 82 so I can ride it when the weather finally cools a little.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I live in las Cruces N.M. I’ve got to many bikes and I need to thin the Hurd. I’ve got a 78 CX500 less than 8,000 original miles. It has the factory/dealer cam chain retrofit and has the “3 dot pyramid” stamped onto engine case. Runs great with lots of upgrades but no title. I’ve also got an 83 GL 500 with title about 27,000 miles again with lots of up grades. I’ve made my up grades
By using Honda OEM parts from my collection, CBX/SABRE fairings gold wing air shocks gold wing air compressor - the up grades are numerous and logical. Bikes always garaged. I’ll see if I can sone pictures attached soon. Considering all reasonable offers > $ 1,600. The 83 GL will be more $ than the 78 CX.
Best regards Enchanted

Reactions: sanrico

·
Registered
1979 Honda CX500 Custom
20 Posts
If any of you are in Albuquerque this weekend, there is a Moto Meetup at Rust is Gold Coffee on Sunday, September 26 at 9am. They are located at 3732 Eubank Blvd NE. Their meetups are cool because you see many off-the-beaten-path bikes there. Vintage, cafe, restored, custom builds. You see a lot of really interesting bikes and get to talk shop with builders. They also have donuts, coffee specials, swap meet, and they give out prizes for bikes. It's a cool event.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 18 of 18 Posts