Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys well im a new member and just bought my first bike today a 1983 cx500 honda shadow ..... i bought it and straight away went for a hour ride was great ..... its a old bike but i here its reliable but being new to the bike world im open to any advice in maintaining my bike and also any great mods i can do... cheers guys

·
Registered
264 Posts
welcome, is it a cx500 or is it a honda shadow?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
If I remember right, in some parts of the world the CX was dubbed a Shadow at some point. Perhaps the newbie could let us know where he is, and update his profile with the location and put the bike model/year in the signature line.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys im from Australia .. Its not the Honda shadow i think its a cx500e il upload a pic in a minute and maybe use can tell me what its called elsewhere ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im having some trouble loading a picture but i will do it tomorrow .. I have been into cars all my life but also had a interest in bikes to shame i waited to 29 years old to get my first one ... Its in reasonable condition and band with lots me spares from a elderly gentleman who did his best to look after and maintain it ... I paid $1600 all registered and everything working fine im not sure if that was to much to pay or not too bad but im happy with it to learn on.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hey guys well im a new member and just bought my first bike today a 1983 cx500 honda shadow ..... i bought it and straight away went for a hour ride was great ..... its a old bike but i here its reliable but being new to the bike world im open to any advice in maintaining my bike and also any great mods i can do... cheers guys

They're a lot of fun- for ideas on what you could do, or what you might like you could look @ the garage wall where we have posted pics of our rides.

Welcome in!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Hi Leroy

The CX was called the Shadow in Oz.( later models maybe?)

not to be confused with other harleyesque bikes of that name

I expect that year of CX will have TI ignition and twinpot front

calipers, maybe some other small refinements too.

The TI bikes tend to suffer less ignition problems

Keep on top of the simple servicing and it should give you

good service

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome to the group, from NZ.

I bought my CX500 Custom back in January and it's great, I'm loving it. It's perfect for my 100km daily commute.

It needed a bit of work, updating, etc.

But it's a great bike for the money. Plenty of grunt, cheap on gas, handles pretty well, comfortable and it's easy to work on.

The guy's on this site are awesome.

Cheers

Curt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, il post some pics this afternoon ... I only picked up the bike yesterday and the old bloke i got it off was pretty honest and he said besides services he hadnt actually cleaned the bike in 6 years so im up early today to give it ba decent wash ... Will be back on later with some pics but cant wait to go riding again today :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
welcome, is it a cx500 or is it a honda shadow?

Welcome to the group! It's funny, my wife was just talking to me about Australia as her friends mother is going to be moving there this year. As for the Shadow, our CX's had a name along with a number in some parts of the world, so the CX was the original honda shadow, before the cruiser Shadow was born.

Here's a funny youtube vid about australia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy_TB6onHVE

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.