Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, New member to the board here. Finally got one of the bikes I really wanted 32 years or so ago but had to settle then for a 1982 GS 450 Suzuki. Got about 25k out of that one in the close to 20 years I owned it before I sold it for mainly lack of use back then.

So the two-wheel itch began to creep back over the last couple of years and I started looking around for something to scratch it with I found a 1980 CX 500 Deluxe with 15,900 miles on the clock that had been laid down and both the rider and bike got some boo boos which resulted in the bike going up for sale.

The back story I pieced together is the original owner bought new and garage kept it but stopped riding it in 1994 as this was the last time it was inspected. Then the next owner got the bike around 2009 never bothered to get it inspected, rode it a few times, then dumped it, let it set outside till I got it from him. It came with two different Vetter flarings (One cracked from the accident but only on the inside and totally repairable) and a large Vetter trunk.

I believe it had a big Hondaline crash bar on it from the remnants of it underneath the bike. This saved the bike from serious damage. As it is both front forks are bent, one backwards and one forwards. Front fender is twisted, mirrors broke, clutch lever busted, flaring mounts bent etc… The bike needs these few major parts and a little love. It starts up and runs fine but I have a bad water leak from the low left side of the radiator and it will overheat when sitting in about 15 to 20 min. There is also an intermittent engine miss which sounds to me like a carb issue. The oil leak from the gear shift shaft is also present.

The front end was so bad it was not able to be test driven and was trucked home in the back of a nephews ford. I have the front end torn down and I’m in search of a replacement. Preferably something with larger forks and twin rotors. Once I can actually roll it around, I’ll get it cleaned up and post a picture. Before it leaves the yard all the oils and braking components will be replaced or rebuilt. This bike will never be a showpiece and if it gets a scratch or dent here or there, I’ll not lose any sleep over it. As long as it starts and stops when and where I want it to and doesn’t leave me stranded, I’ll be happy and need not ask any more from it.

Anyway, That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I promise future post will not ramble on so. Any help / info / suggestions / comradry or large financial donations are always welcomed ;-)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome to the elite group CXInNeed

This is the BEST place to research and discuss anything and everything about your bike. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people in this forum that put a lot of time and effort into helping other members enjoy their bike!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello again, updated my sig to reflect where I'm located and current and past bikes as well.

I'm well read on the CX and as well as the mentioned items I'm also on the lookout for an extra CDI box and stator. I believe my cam tensioner is good as the bike is so quiet. I need to look for the punch marks on the engine to get an idea if a dealer has ever serviced it though. It only leaks water when it is running. Checking the leak out is probably my next project. I don't know if it's damage from its accident or from sitting so long. I'm hoping the oil leak is just the seal around the shifter on the bottom of the engine. I also need a battery. The one in it is only 2 years old or so but 4 of the 6 cells are fried. I think it was on its side for a while after the accident and lost acid then was ran long enough to cook the four cells. I forgot to mention that I got the bike with the 2 flarings / trunk as well as 2 helmets for $800 so I think I did OK there. I did put fresh gas and new plugs in it.. I know I know, I'm really off to a blazing start eh? LOL

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I believe my cam tensioner is good as the bike is so quiet. I need to look for the punch marks on the engine to get an idea if a dealer has ever serviced it though.

No need to worry as your bike is a 1980 model and the modification is not applicable. By then the change had been placed in production.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts