Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have recently bought a 1979 cx500 custom as a project bike (last week) it is a terrible mess just now
I got a loan of a friends cx 500 custom for a weekend in the late 80s and loved it
I have restored a few cars over the years but I needed a smaller project and this seemed like the perfect fit for me
It is missing quite a lot of parts including complete rear mudguard airbox tailpipes rev counter footrests and a few other parts too
Someone has also made a half-hearted attempt at turning it into a bobber it has drag bars the wrong speedo and footrests that look like they came off a bmx no rev counter and the ugliest headlight I ever seen
So it needs all that replaced too
I am in no hurry to finish it as I am still restoring a car at the moment but I couldnt turn it down as I got it at a very good price
I believe if I spend £1000 on it I will have a nice use able classic and i should be able to get my money back if I ever decide to sell it on
I would be very interested in reading about other peoples experiences restoring one of these bike
Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,212 Posts
Welcome aboard, Pete!
Are you intending to do a stock restoration, or just to make it functional and reasonably looking like a motorcycle? Whichever route you go, eBay is your friend, either for good used bits or new universal parts. You won't find a lot NOS, and if you do, you'll pay a premium for it.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,496 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered as UK paperwork shows) to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

I probably don't need to welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and (ill advised modifications aside) may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. I'm sure you know to check the date codes on your tires; On bikes it is usually recommended to replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet (this is especially important when it us leaned into a turn). If your bike still has the original rubber brake lines (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Welcome...
To make the bike functional ignore the odometer reading as this may be affected by non-attached cable, replaced instruments...
Do a full inspection as per the Fsm. Then use a mirror or borescope to look at the cam chain....

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Welcome...
To make the bike functional ignore the odoneter reading as this may be affected by non-attached cable, repkaced instruments...
Do a full ibspe tiin as per tge Fsm. Then use a mirror or borescope to look at the cam chain....
I think I've managed to translate what you're saying there.... 😆

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome aboard, Pete!
Are you intending to do a stock restoration, or just to make it functional and reasonably looking like a motorcycle? Whichever route you go, eBay is your friend, either for good used bits or new universal parts. You won't find a lot NOS, and if you do, you'll pay a premium for it.

Hi I intend doing it as stock as is possible without costing a fortune I have found some original parts on ebay for the bike that are cheap also found some parts from other bikes I can adapt to fit that will do until I can find reasonably priced original parts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome...
To make the bike functional ignore the odoneter reading as this may be affected by non-attached cable, repkaced instruments...
Do a full ibspe tiin as per tge Fsm. Then use a mirror or borescope to look at the cam chain....
Thanks I have been advised that the earlier bikes that have had the cam chain tensioner modification have 3 dots next to the engine number if they are not present it means the bike still has the original manual cam chain tensioner fitted

·
Super Moderator
5,223 Posts

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Thanks I have been advised that the earlier bikes that have had the cam chain tensioner modification have 3 dots next to the engine number if they are not present it means the bike still has the original manual cam chain tensioner fitted
Your '79 Custom is post recall. It will have the updated tensioner, but not the three dots indicating recall work.

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
Your 1979 model will have the updated cam chain adjuster, so you won’t see the 3 dots. It was only the early bikes that got the bad adjusters that needed the recall.
Your '79 Custom is post recall. It will have the updated tensioner, but not the three dots indicating recall work.
Sorry guys, but that does not hold true for all 79 CX500 models. I've opened up 2 79 CX500 motors and found they had the 78 setup in them still. Scroll down in the first post I did on the 79 restoration and you'll see. My take is that they used left over 78 engines and never updated the tension and guide components. Maybe some of the motors built in 79 had it, but the earlier bikes in 79 did not. See my post Here. And no, the 79 will not have the three dots next to the engine #. I suggest if you have a 79, you should open it up to be sure.
Larry

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Were those both '79 Standards? I suspect by the time the Custom and Deluxe came along mid-year, they were all post-recall.
What's the VIN cut-off for the recall? I know it's recorded somewhere, as I've seen it posted here.
A '79 in the recall range should have the three dots if the recall work was performed.

Reactions: LRCXed

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
Yes, both were standards. I also know that Jesse, TheAtomicGoose, had to update his 79 Std. when he did his bike.

Just did an extensive search for the recall info. Nowhere does it mention the 79 being included. But, the recall wasn't issued till 12-1-78. I would think they had already started assembling and distributing the 79 Std. by then. That's why, IMOP, a lot of the 79s didn't get the update.
Engine #s effected went up to CX500E-2034366.
Here are a couple sites with info. Site 1 and Site 2 Ser. #s
This is probably the post your remembering here on this forum. Posted by CHPHREAK

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just did an extensive search for the recall info. Nowhere does it mention the 79 being included. But, the recall wasn't issued till 12-1-78. I would think they had already started assembling and distributing the 79 Std. by then. That's why, IMOP, a lot of the 79s didn't get the update.
Engine #s effected went up to CX500E-2034366.
I have one of those early 79 CX500 Customs that was not updated. It has engine # 2015xxx. It did fail in 1981 at 17,157 miles. I repaired it myself and the update parts were covered by an extended warranty.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
That's the first Custom I've heard of without the updated tensioner. Does the engine number start with CX500E- or PC01E-?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts