Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
greetings from Middle East

I´m a motorbike enthusiast from Spain living in Middle East.
Sometimes (lot of free time here) I spend time looking around for old motorbikes to acquire with the purpose of customize it.
I don´t have any CX, but is a bike that I see interesting to be modified.
Today I found this one, but I don't know exactly what model could be; the seller says (on his advertise) that is a CX500 MY1995, but looking for more detailed information I think is not true; does not means he is lying, I think is more about a lack of knowledge.
I'm thinking seriously to buy this bike; still I need to arrange a visit, hopefully next week, to check the bike.
It will be appreciated if people in this Forum (I think the knowledge is here) could give me more information about this model.

Regards and ráfagas from Oman.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking for more info, I found this picture. I can't read Japanese, but could be that 400 states for 400 cc engine?
If you check the first photo I post, the name is CX euro, not CX 500 sport...
little bit confused about that :unsure:

Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Middle east may have many different imports.
Cc will be stamped on the engine as stated.
Also the frame neck should have some form of compliance plate telling you the bikes origin..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Middle east may have many different imports.
Cc will be stamped on the engine as stated.
Also the frame neck should have some form of compliance plate telling you the bikes origin..
Thank you bahn,
I have not had the opportunity to check the bike yet; when I can, I will see the possibilities of customize it into a scrambler, which is what I have in mind.
It will be a hard work, because I would like to change the front fork, rebuild the rear subframe, fuel tank, replace lights with LED lights, spoked wheels?...
we will see what happens at the end.
In the meanwhile, I am looking for all the info that I can

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Keep in mind that Euro does have better forks and a monoshock already.....thought to be better than earlier models.....
Good luck with your project if you purchase it(y)

·
Registered
CX500EC Eurosport 1982
46 Posts
That looks like quite a clean and tidy example in good original condition. I’ve not seen them badged as CXEURO like that before; I’m sure it’s not unique but must be somewhat uncommon. Perhaps the Euro moniker does indicate that it’s a 400. In the uk something like that would go for about £2000, perhaps a bit more. Good luck with it, thanks, Will

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all of you, guys
I will post here my impressions about the bike after checking it.
Usually is difficult to find a motorbike in good condition here; there is no culture about old vehicles; people don't have skills to do things by themselves and most of the technicians working outside of the official dealers are from india or Bangladesh working without the proper knowledge and tools in really bad conditions, but they are really cheap, that's why...
we will see what I find

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,233 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and (when you get it) your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered if that's what the paperwork shows) to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Th bike you are interested in is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and (when you get it) your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered if that's what the paperwork shows) to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Th bike you are interested in is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.
Hi Bob,
many thanks for your advice 🍻
Regarding the maintenance of the motorbike, yes I know what you say...and more in Middle East.
Could be because I am riding motorbikes since I was 14 years old, could be because I am Jet engines engineer and aircraft technician, could be because that one, if finally I bought it, it will be the third motorbike I will customize, but I think is only because all of us here love motorbikes and we love to spent time not just riding them, also taking care of them... we enjoy doing that.
Yesterday I downloaded the Factory Shop manual (thanks for sharing it); is the first thing I try to obtain for every new motorbike I had.

this is the first bike that I customized a few years ago
Fuel tank Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Not too much; it was more cosmetic than other thing, but it was the beginning...
I helped my friend to do some changes in his Bonneville.
And now I am working on a cheap Chinese dirt bike.
from this:
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Fuel tank

to this:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Work is still on progress because I don't have a place to work (I work in the street 😂) and with the hot summer here is really difficult to do anything... imagine cutting and welding at 48 degrees Celsius...
I have a clear idea on my mind of what I want from the Honda CX to be.
Anyway, I think that I arrived to the correct place if finally I purchase the bike; I found a lot of useful information here and I'm sure that users here has a lot of knowledge to support the beginners with any CX project.
Again, thank you so much for your advice; it's a pleasure to find people that likes to share knowledge.

Ráfagas ✊

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I probably should stay off this thread, but the CX is a lovely looking bike, please don’t rip it to bits; min fadlack!
Hi John,
You are invited to stay here if you want.
Aesthetics is something very personal; I'm not going to say anything regarding that... even if a lot of people, like me, disagree with the CX subframe...
Personally I don't like the plastic fairing, but it's just a personal matter...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts