Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
CX500, 81’
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I’ve reading this forum for a while and all the information that I’ve read and the fact that I love this moto made me buy one 81’ CX500. Also one of the main reasons for me to buy it was that in my country (Spain) have never been sold a single unit directly from Honda, cause in that time we were under a dictatorship which can’t allow the people to buy foreigner market vehicles, so the few units that we have are imported from UK. On the other side that’s a pain in the ass cause there’s no information in Spanish that’s what I landed here, so I want to apologize for my English.

I’ve been thinking to install an m.Unit Blue cause seems to be easier to install than to go back to the OEM. But my question is: Do I need to replace the OEM ignition system with the ignitech one or can I keep the old one??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hola and welcome. El mechanismo de arranque no se necesita cambiar con el M-unit. Puede quedar como de fabrica. Pero si el de fabrica(CDI) o el generador fallan, pues puedes cambiar por un Ignitec o por un Rae-San.

·
Registered
CX500, 81’
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hola and welcome. El mechanismo de arranque no se necesita cambiar con el M-unit. Puede quedar como de fabrica. Pero si el de fabrica(CDI) o el generador fallan, pues puedes cambiar por un Ignitec o por un Rae-San.
Thank you so much. The motorbike was running perfect before I tear down the engine so I think I can keep it.

Gracias por la respuesta en español!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hello everyone!

Also one of the main reasons for me to buy it was that in my country (Spain) have never been sold a single unit directly from Honda, cause in that time we were under a dictatorship which can’t allow the people to buy foreigner market vehicles

Thanks in advance.
But locally you had the Bultaco...(Metralla was one of my favorites and if I ever acquire my own this will go the cafe route...;).)

Welcome to the CX500 forum..you will also find European members may be a big help in getting spares at a reasonable price especially in COVID times.

·
Registered
CX500, 81’
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But locally you had the Bultaco...(Metralla was one of my favorites and if I ever acquire my own this will go the cafe route...;).)

Welcome to the CX500 forum..you will also find European members may be a big help in getting spares at a reasonable price especially in COVID times.
That was my first project 4 years ago, it wasn’t the Metralla, it was a 61’ Mercurio 155, but I had to sell it cause I’m 6’3 and found myself too big for it. There’s a website in which I’ve found a lot of pieces, even when I had to replace the clutch I bought the complete set of plates for a reasonable price. But it’s good to know that if there’s hard to find spares I can count with some “locals” in the forum.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered as UK paperwork shows) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

I can't help you with the M unit; In my opinion the original wiring on these bikes is pretty well designed and usually works well unless someone has worked on it without studying the wiring drawing and has connected something where it shouldn't be so unless you have to replace the wiring why would you do the extra work just to make it non-standard so that we can't help you figure out future problems?

·
Registered
CX500, 81’
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered as UK paperwork shows) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

I can't help you with the M unit; In my opinion the original wiring on these bikes is pretty well designed and usually works well unless someone has worked on it without studying the wiring drawing and has connected something where it shouldn't be so unless you have to replace the wiring why would you do the extra work just to make it non-standard so that we can't help you figure out future problems?
Thank you for you advices! I’ve already done the maintenance, actually I bought the factory shop manual before I get the motorbike. The replace of the brake lines it’s on my to do list but I’ve tear down the bike to powder coating the frame and get rid of all the rust that she has. The issue with the wiring it’s that I’ve dismantled all the wiring and I thought that I would be good to update her a little, always keeping the original wiring just in case I want to go back to the original. I don’t know if it’s a bad idea.

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts