Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum and just picked up a 1981 CX500 Deluxe, I have been browsing and am glad to have this forum for a resource guide. I look forward to working on this bike and learning all about it!
-Miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
That is an exceptionally clean & unmolested bike you have there! Welcome from VA!

·
Super Moderator
13,034 Posts
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership. Your bike has had 38 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage. I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. It looks like your bike still has the original rubber brake line (should have been replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) so I recommend shopping for a modern stainless braided one (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Welcome. Work on it all you want but DO NOT get near it with a hacksaw. That is too nice an example for that approach.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts