Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Doug and I didn't know this forum existed until I happened on this Cx500. After I bought it I found this forum. I really didn't know what I was buying, I have never owned a motorcycle. Think I lucked out finding this. It was from the original owner, he hated to part with it. I redid the carbs and it runs great but my son and I have to learn to ride. My son has an old Yamaha dirt bike so I have been out riding around in the back pasture getting my balance. Don't want to drop the CX.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the best place on the planet for anything to do with the CX. Congrats on the bike, you are going to love it, just like me.

I gave my son an old 71 CB100 that used to be my older brothers (sat idle for over 30 years) so he could fix it up and learn how to ride. I was planing on helping him, but he had other idea's and didnt want my fingers in the project lol. Sitting down feeling old and ripped off a chance to tinker with something, the wife said "why dont you get a junker bike and fix it up yourself and sell it" .... Sounded good so I bought a 82 CX500C for $300.00 that had sat in a garage for almost 30 years (only had 14K on it).

Worked on it, painted it, fixed it all up and got it running. Decided to take it for a spin (oh, did I mention I had NEVER road one up until this point) down the road, and learned an important lesson (you cant make a U turn on a 1 lane road boarderd by ditches). Went in the ditch at a whopping 1/2 MPH and ended up under the bike (couldnt lift it as one leg was pinned, kid came and freed me up). Earned a 6 inch gash in the leg and fell in love with the bike and decided to keep it. Took a course and took the M1 test and now Im leagal (need my final test sometime next year for the full M).

So take it from someone that went for his motorcycle licence at 52, you are really going to love it :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's a good story FADM. Did you ever figure out the U-turn? In my safety course, one of our instructors was some sort of policeman who did super-slow demonstration or competitive riding. (I'm not sure, but the other instructor was really impressed by his ability.) He taught us to feather the clutch, rev the engine for a little gyroscopic stability, and use the rear brake to control our speed. You can maneuver really slow like this.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
LOL yea I can U turn on a WIDE 1 lane road, but sometimes cheat and use the leg lol I had fun in the couse when you had to make a slow figure 8 .... must be because Im old, but took me forever to sort of do it lol He kept yelling "look where you want to go" and I tried hard not to look at the ground lol. Eventually I got the hang of it

·
Registered
219 Posts
I dumped the 400 before I bought it in a gravel driveway, just made me more determined to buy it and ride. Although I did a ton of research and taught myself I highly recommend a beginner course. There are a lot of bikers that have been riding regularly for decades and still don't know the basic skills even though they will argue different.

Oh and welcome to the forum, there are lots of experts on the cx/gl willing to help with questions.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Nice bike! What year is it,,a 79?

Please take a minute to update your info to include your location and add the year and model of the bike to your signature line. You can do so in your profile.

Did you have the gas tank off the bike? It looks like the bolts are missing from the front mounts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome. It is a 79 and we just picked up an 81 to fool around with. The 81 is in rough shape, and has no ignition, but it will make a good learning practice bike for us. We can take it apart and not worry that we are going to wreck something.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Good eye, Allan, it DOES look like the tank bolts are missing up front!

Welcome aboard Doug, a very nice specimen indeed!

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Totally agree with StormRider, a motorcycle course is a good idea. I took one and was so happy that I did, as you learn a ton of stuff. Being a new rider I wanted to know as much as possible and it sure made riding easier and I fell a lot more comfortable now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts