Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda GL500 2002 BMW R1150R
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All yesterday I picked up a very sorry looking 1982 GL500 for free, reportedly has only 5K miles. Normally I ride a BMW R1150R but I had been wanting a smaller bike for quick runs and general utility. Looking for advise and creative ideas, also parts suppliers. I was going to part out the bike but now I've taken a liking to it.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,099 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Free is always good, even if it costs more in the long run. You'll have a good learning experience rebuilding it.
Your first step is to look for the Factory Service Manual. There's a link in many members' signatures.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,430 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I've moved this to a new thread for you.
Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your GL500 is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so I'll second Randall's recommendation to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi All yesterday I picked up a very sorry looking 1982 GL500 for free, reportedly has only 5K miles. Normally I ride a BMW R1150R but I had been wanting a smaller bike for quick runs and general utility. Looking for advise and creative ideas, also parts suppliers. I was going to part out the bike but now I've taken a liking to it.
I've taken a $25 CX500 and made it roadworthy for another $500. The used side panels cost more than the bike!

The GL will make a good companion to the R, transverse twin similar to boxer. I have a bunch of GL500 parts for sale if you need them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've taken a $25 CX500 and made it roadworthy for another $500. The used side panels cost more than the bike!

The GL will make a good companion to the R, transverse twin similar to boxer. I have a bunch of GL500 parts for sale if you need them.
That's good to hear. I'm wanting to customize it to fit me. Since I have a bike that's up and running for the season already this project can go forwards without any hurry. I will probably be needing a few parts. Looking to end up with sort of a cafe racer type bike that can handle a dirt road once in awhile.

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
That's good to hear. I'm wanting to customize it to fit me. sort of a cafe racer type bike that can handle a dirt road once in awhile.
Is the GL500 operable? If not, I'd suggest getting it running and ride it for a while, rather than tearing it apart first thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the GL500 operable? If not, I'd suggest getting it running and ride it for a while, rather than tearing it apart first thing.
Previous owner hit a horse, everybody went home but the bike has light damage and is missing a speedometer and whatnot. Will be a teardown and rebuild. I'll be selling a few parts off of it probably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts