Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, I acquired my CX500E while looking for a shaft driven bike to convert to a water cooled electric motor. I saw this bike advertised as part of a storage unit liquidation/moving sale. So I went to the storage unit and bought the bike right on the spot where it had sat for the previous 4 or 5 years. I loaded the bike in my trailer, and the owner came out and said I could take all of the spare cx parts he had stored too. It turns out he shipped the bike and parts from England to California after riding a mechanicing on this bike for 95,000 miles and many years as a Motorcycle Courier in London. I bought the bike not caring about the condition of the engine. But when I got it home and hosed off all the dust, I notice it had brand new carburetors. My curiosity got the best of me, so I installed a battery and put a gallon of aviation fuel in the tank an it fired right up...and idled. This is my first bike with an electric starter, so I think I died and went to heaven. I have a collection of old British bikes so my brain is wired for right foot shift and left foot brake. I am having trouble shifting and braking on the opposite side, so my wife thinks maybe I should sell or trade the cx for that reason alone. Thanks for letting me post,, I'll get some pictures and Frame/engine numbers up soon...Thanks Tom

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,213 Posts
A CX500E is a rare thing in North America. Honda never offered it here.
Treasure that one.

Reactions: D-Fresh
1 - 4 of 4 Posts