Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

First post here. Just got the bike a little over a week ago. Been messing around with it. Took it out all day on saturday and part of sunday and noticed that it hesitates in 1st and 2nd gear in lower RPMs. I also noticed it backfiring yesterday when I took it for a spin, along with the hesitations.

Also, the throttle sticks and it usually takes me a few times of pressing the start button before she'll get going on a cold start. I'm not sure if these issues are related in any way. I'm very new to motorcycles and trying to learn. I bought the bike cheap with intention of learning and trying to build a cafe of my own.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Do you have the FSM [factory service manual] yet?
Download from the link below.
Do the "high mileage checkup".

Get Larrys carb book or have someone clean your carbs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the service manual now.

I think this will be a good first place to start. Thanks OCR.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Before you start hackin' away to "build your cafe", you should consider getting the bike as a reliable daily rider first.

This simple exercise will make any problems generated during your build solved more simply.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before you start hackin' away to "build your cafe", you should consider getting the bike as a reliable daily rider first.

This simple exercise will make any problems generated during your build solved more simply.
Yea definitely. That's the goal right now. Once she's up and going steady then I'll look at changing things up. I already ordered Larry's book so once I get that in I'll go to town on the carbs. Any suggestions on what to get ahead of time so I don't have to wait to get to cleaning them?

·
Super Moderator
21,157 Posts
ACVs and kits with all the rubber bits like floatbowl gaskets and O rings. Generally the brass bits in the kits aren't really needed. And the correct float valve needles for your model depending on whether you have metal and plastic or full plastic floats.

While not usually included in the kits {and should be} you'd do best to replace the idle passage plugs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What you need to rebuild your carbs along with the book and the kits that holyman1973 suggested are a sonic cleaner, 2-3 cans of carb cleaner, a set of micro drills from harbor freight, an EX 1 easy out extractor from Snap-on tools $5.50 is a must have and SimpleGreen, Castrol Super Clean or something similar for the sonic cleaner. Follow the instructions to the letter. You can't over clean them and you MUST, I mean MUST extract and clean the low jet emulsifying tube! Good luck and always refer to this site for help. The members here are awesome with hundreds of years of knowledge to share!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perfect. Thanks everyone for the help. I'm looking forward to getting up and running and back on the road for the summer. I'll update once I make some progress on it. Any other information is always welcome.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ya I hate spending money but Larry's carb book was awesome and combined with the Randakk's rebuild kit my carbs have been perfect ever since. it's probably the best investment you can make on the bike

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
an EX 1 easy out extractor from Snap-on tools $5.50 is a must have
And whatever you do don't cheap out and buy extractor's from napa, autozone, etc. They are cheap, easily break off in the emulsifying tube and then you have to figure out how to get the broken tip out without destroying the tube. Ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And whatever you do don't cheap out and buy extractor's from napa, autozone, etc. They are cheap, easily break off in the emulsifying tube and then you have to figure out how to get the broken tip out without destroying the tube. Ask me how I know this.

Snap on is currently out of them... any other suggestions?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, the throttle sticks and it usually takes me a few times of pressing the start button before she'll get going on a cold start.
I had this issue with mine when i got it. I disassembled the start button and I re soldered all the connections now it starts up with one push and as for the sticky throttle make sure that your throttle cables are not being pinched or obstructed by anything and are free flowing

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Snap on is currently out of them... any other suggestions?
None on Ebay either unless you want to buy a set. My set is currently with my brother out of state. see if any one in you area on the forumn has one you can rent.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I highly recommend a JIS screwdriver (slightly different shape than your regular #2 screwdriver) which is made specifically for these old Japanese fasteners. Look it up.
Also an impact screwdriver will help get the stubborn ones out without stripping them

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Thottle sticking can be aggravated by the throttle sleeve being dirty or gummed up.

Pull off the grip, the sleeve is underneath, clean or replace.

Might solve some of the problems.

Another source is proper routing of cables and spring tension at the carb.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can try Mac Tools. It was the other mfg. recommended by Larry as having a higher quality choice tool and no problems. Just be careful and make sure you take your time and sonic, sonic, sonic to make sure the tubes are as free of the gum that makes them hard to remove! It will still feel like the extractor is gonna break, even when their super clean. If your getting supplies, you will also need some CLR, a straight edge, tube brushes if it's really gummed up and I keep on hand the wire ties for bread to use in the tiny, twisty holes (be careful not to break them in the holes).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a little update. I got the carbs off and you guys are right.... Larry's book is awesome. I've started breaking down the carbs an thankfully i haven't run into any major hang ups yet. They are dirty but not as terrible as the ones in his book. I'm currently waiting for extractor bits from mac tools to show up so until then, the carbs are on hold.

So in the mean time, new turn signals and tail light will be mounted, along with new throttle cabling and a new tach cable. The old throttle cables looked pretty rough, and the old tach cable it trash. New bars, grips, and mirrors are on the way as well.

I was also able to pick up a second seat and full exhaust system locally for very cheap, so I'll be cleaning up the exhaust system, get it painted up, and mounted up as well. I'll also be trimming up the seat foam on this second seat for a cafe look.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While cleaning out the carbs, found out one of the idle mixture screws had a broken tip. So that could definitely be playing into the issues I've been having. The new one should be here tomorrow. The carbs weren't terribly dirty (not as dirty as the ones that were in Larry's book), but I was able to clear out some gunk in and throughout them. The worst part was the cap for the accelerator pump. It had a lot of build up on it.

Once I get them back together I'll get the the cables installed and we'll see how she runs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts