Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Ok so this bike has been in the family for years. Im in the process of cleaning it up. It has just over 50k on it and still runs great. After owning some new sports bikes that tend to look the same after awhile, I am really excited that this one now sits in my garage. THX DAD !!!! I hope he enjoys his new Royal Infield. I need a front right turn signal and the right rear turn signal lens. For my first technical ? The turbo boost gauge on the dash is flashing, anyone know whats going on with that. Im sure I will think of more ???s Thx. for any Help.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hello, Ok so this bike has been in the family for years. Im in the process of cleaning it up. It has just over 50k on it and still runs great. After owning some new sports bikes that tend to look the same after awhile, I am really excited that this one now sits in my garage. THX DAD !!!! I hope he enjoys his new Royal Infield. I need a front right turn signal and the right rear turn signal lens. For my first technical ? The turbo boost gauge on the dash is flashing, anyone know whats going on with that. Im sure I will think of more ???s Thx. for any Help.

Is it flashing after a hard run with high boost or immediately on start up?

PK

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Shredder,

I am a newbie as well, but having chased a lot of parts for a CXT can answer the Indicator Question.

They are rare, and expensive, but luckily you can get replacement/replica parts from showkey at AOl dot COM.

I received a prompt email response just today, and am ordering a couple for mine.

Salty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Shredder,

I am a newbie as well, but having chased a lot of parts for a CXT can answer the Indicator Question.

They are rare, and expensive, but luckily you can get replacement/replica parts from showkey at AOl dot COM.

I received a prompt email response just today, and am ordering a couple for mine.

Salty

Thx for the help. Does this replace just the lens or the whole thing.

·
Registered
848 Posts
No the little green lights are lite solid with the last red lights flashing as well as the word tubro flashing. It does this all the time as soon as you turn on the key. Thx. for the reply!!

It's odd that the bike is running normal with the meter doing that. That's an indication of overboost which of course isn't happening. If it was detecting an overboost (real or not) the bike should go into a low performance fail safe mode along with an error code displayed on the ECU.

Is the fuel system light staying on and codes displayed?

If not the P2 sensor could be fine and sending the correct information to the ECU while the ECU is sending the wrong information to the boost display (not good as it means something is failing in the ECU). The boost display can be bad or someone screwed up some wiring in the past. Unlike the 500T I don't see any detours or components between the boost meter and ECU.

There is a test in the shop manual involving a 1.5 battery. If you don't have it, download the shop manual and make sure its the one for the 650T. The 500T is very different in this area.

I think there are links to manual downloads in the Quick Reference sticky in the General Discussion forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's odd that the bike is running normal with the meter doing that. That's an indication of overboost which of course isn't happening. If it was detecting an overboost (real or not) the bike should go into a low performance fail safe mode along with an error code displayed on the ECU.

Is the fuel system light staying on and codes displayed?

If not the P2 sensor could be fine and sending the correct information to the ECU while the ECU is sending the wrong information to the boost display (not good as it means something is failing in the ECU). The boost display can be bad or someone screwed up some wiring in the past. Unlike the 500T I don't see any detours or components between the boost meter and ECU.

There is a test in the shop manual involving a 1.5 battery. If you don't have it, download the shop manual and make sure its the one for the 650T. The 500T is very different in this area.

I think there are links to manual downloads in the Quick Reference sticky in the General Discussion forum.

Thanks for the info. The fuel system light is not on. I havent rode the bike in years. The other day I rode it about 4 miles and only got on it once it seemed to run just fine. I am just getting into this thing, started with an oil change and other maintance stuff and oh ya cleaning. This is one of the hardest bikes to really detail. LOL !! I will look into that manual. Thank again ! Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thx for the help. Does this replace just the lens or the whole thing.

He has just the lense, or he can provide the lense with the black backing at extra cost.

I ordered just the lenses.

Email him and he will explain. It might be slightly different as yours is CX650.?!

Stephen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did some tests today per the manual on the boost gauge . With 1.5 volts 5 of the lights light up with 3.0 volts there are 8 which is correct per the manual. With the key on, the same circuit ( pink wire ) has 5.0 volts and all the lights are solid except the red ones at the end they blink. The boost gauge does the same thing running as well. On the ecu all the red lights light up then go out when you turn on the key. Starting the bike and letting it run all the lights on the ecu stay off. I unpluged the yellew plug which goes to the p2 sensor then turned on the key the ecu lights all light up then the # 1 light blinks and the w light stays on. I dont know if the 5.0 volts on the pink wire with the key on is right. If the ecu controls that maybe the ecu is sending bad info. Also the vacuum line on the p2 sensor should I be able to feel the vacuum ? There was nothing .

Not sure what to look at next. Thx . for any help! Mike

·
Registered
848 Posts
My schematic is kind of difficult to read but I'm pretty sure that circuit doesn't branch of anywhere else. Unplug the ecu harness and make sure there are no bent pins at the ecu. I think there were two junction connectors for that circuit, make sure one didn't get swapped with some other connector. A number of connectors on these bikes are "keyed" the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome aboard, you would'nt happen to own a tricked out R1200S Beemer would you?

Rique

Thanks, No beemer here. For an update, I checked the pins on the ecu everything is good. I talked to my dad about the turbo light flashing. He said he was on a ride and stopped at the store when he got back on the bike it just started flashing. So it wasnt like it started after someone worked on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did some tests today per the manual on the boost gauge . With 1.5 volts 5 of the lights light up with 3.0 volts there are 8 which is correct per the manual. With the key on, the same circuit ( pink wire ) has 5.0 volts and all the lights are solid except the red ones at the end they blink. The boost gauge does the same thing running as well. On the ecu all the red lights light up then go out when you turn on the key. Starting the bike and letting it run all the lights on the ecu stay off. I unpluged the yellew plug which goes to the p2 sensor then turned on the key the ecu lights all light up then the # 1 light blinks and the w light stays on. I dont know if the 5.0 volts on the pink wire with the key on is right. If the ecu controls that maybe the ecu is sending bad info. Also the vacuum line on the p2 sensor should I be able to feel the vacuum ? There was nothing .

Not sure what to look at next. Thx . for any help! Mike
Hi all, like you I'm now a proud owner of the cx650 Turbo however, have exactly the same issue.. Di you get a fix or sell the bike on??? The bike starts with the word Turbo flashing with the last bars in red flashing too. The EDU is showing no flashing lights or any lights on...

Any HELP would be appreciated... Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Does the ECU display a fault code?

With the bike running and issue shown (Flashing TURBO Indicator), Remove the seat and take a look at the indicators on the ECU to see if they are displaying a code. That may give you an indication of what the issue is. Compare the code against the manual trouble shooting guide. You may have to remove the ECU and set it out where you can see it and then start the bike, or take a mirror to see the Fault Code Indicators.

Compare the code you see to the chart in the manual.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Long shot, but you can get some electrical contact cleaner and clean ECU connectors, Sensor Connectors, and Display Connectors. Also any other suspect connectors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.