Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all!

New forum member and new CX owner. Just picked up a 79 CX 500 deluxe and took it for a very COLD first ride (-8c outside .) Loved every minute of it.

I'm a long time motorcyclist of the sport bike and road racing flavor but as more sunsets passed under my wheels I started yearning for the road past the end of the pavement.

Stumbled upon two fine examples of a CX adventure cross over and instantly fell in love with the whole thing.

A bike I can build and enjoy on the miles of fire roads in my local area.

Sign me up!

started the "get to know my ride" disassembly this evening. Taking it slow though, as I want this to be long term, not just a one night stand. Found some real weird wiring issues jammed behind the head light and the usual wear and tear. Nothing I can't handle so far ............

;-)

I'll study the threads before posting newbie questions and hope I can add to the knowledge base of this group.

Peace.

Owen

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Welcome aboard, Owen. Not a bad looking specimen at all. That wiring mess you speak of in the headlight bucket is a standard affair normally, but depending on what the PO may have done to it in the past may affect that some. Not to worry too much though just yet, as you indicate you are able to ride it.

As you are perusing the threads, pay special note to the "sticky notes" in the General section, they contain a plethora of handy information about all these variants of the CX/GL family. Also edit your profile to show where you are in the world, and the signature line for listing your bike type. That helps us help you, and you never know when someone may be just around the corner. When you consider this forum is likely the largest and most informative of them all, it's very likely you will find anything you need here, almost 24/7 as the membership is world wide.

As a stock bike, this isn't really one that was meant to do off roading, but there are many people here that do various mods to make them more suitable for that. A prime example is Jeremy, and his journey to Argentina. Look in the Traveling section for his thread/blog.

Happy riding,

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the welcome.

I plan on swapping out the front end for a set of KDX200 forks i got kicking around and new Progressive 13 3/8" long rear shocks. That should get me a little higher and rolling while i sort out the details. I've seen two examples online that are exactly what I'd had in mind.

Owen

http://cycles.evanfell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/cx-500-dual-sport.jpg

·
Registered
511 Posts
Peace back to ya. Aside from all the tape on the seat it looks like a nice machine. The folks on this forum are all good guys and gals. Welcome.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Seat's easily repaired. JC Whitney & eBay have replacement covers or do what I did - find a custom auto upholstery restoration shop. Granted I paid a lot more to get what I wanted but it's perfection in ostrich hide. Grips your behind like you wouldn't believe and while being as tough as nails compared to common vinyl it's still as supple as you'd ever want. It will however take a little saddle soap from time to time to keep the rain shedding off and the feel.

Guy did a perfect restoration right down to the pleats and you'd never know without a close inspection as I went with the factory semi-flat black.

Or just leave the tape, make up a list of priorities.

Needless to say since you don't know what the PO has done (or claimed to have done) change the oil & filter, the air filter, grease the drive shaft and change the rear drive fluid. Most important is setting the timing chain & valves. Spark plugs are inexpensive as it is to get rid of the internal resistors in the plug boots.

I assume you've found our online OEM service manual?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume you've found our online OEM service manual?

No luck on the manual, i've searched this site as well as Google. Finially ordered on off FleaBay.

What do you mean about "getting rid of the resistors"?

Owen

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never mind. Found the quick ref thread. Though the manual link seems to not work for me. I'll wait till i get on my PC, it may be a flash issue (iPad user here)

Oh when

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Glad you found the manual here. Make sure you use the second link, that uses google docs. The first one closed shop, and Don (Blindstitch copied over as much as he could before the lock hit.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Nice looking bike, be warned, they seem to multiply, once you get 1, you'll want another, then another lol, I have an 81 Custom, and an 80 parts bike, and was going to buy an 82 custom today, but it sold
she was pretty to... But they're great bikes as long as you take care of em

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
What do you mean about "getting rid of the resistors"?

Owen

What Marshall meant was that the plug wire caps that go onto the plugs, those boots have a factory installed resistor built in them. They can be eliminated or replaced with a small brass rod. Most spark plugs these days with a letter R in the part number have resistors built in too. There are several threads here regarding removing them, and if I recall right, it is not too hard to do. I personally haven't done it, as my bike still is pretty much OEM and runs great. I try to find spark plugs without the R designation to avoid duplication.

Why they are in there has been debated too, but I don't know enough of that stuff to give a salient answer. Some surmise it was for radio interference issues on bikes outfitted that way, but I've seen arguments around that.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The resistors are in the plug caps or the plugs for two reasons.

1) They lessened the interference with the AM radios of the time (pretty much NLA now)

2) They tend to limit the maximum current the secondary of the ignition coil has to put out - important.

Most of us just get rid of the resistors (they fail - intermittently when you least expect it.) so most of us just replace them with brass rods or tubing then use the less expensive DR8EA plugs at first. When we're in tune we move to the DR8EIX, They cost more but make up for it with almost instant starting and will last for 50K miles. If you can afford them go ahead and start out with them. Just don't waste the money until you know your mixture is correct.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

Finally, put some silicone grease on the connections and make sure the upper insulator gaskets are still soft and pliable with no cracks (where the wires enter the valve covers) so you've got a good seal to keep the water out. Probably $3 for a set from TAS postage paid or your local dealer may have them.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Hello Owen

Nothing wrong with gaffer tape on the seat

just dont get wrinkles in it. that smacks of bad workmanship

I've had to tidy up headlamp cowl wiring a few times and did a pic of

the correct layout, it was on RoB Davis site and may still be about if you need it

I could never understand why some folk just stuffed it all in willy nilly as its so much easier to

work on and remove/refit the headlamp if you do it right.

Remember there are no stupid questions

just grumpy answers

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Never mind. Found the quick ref thread. Tough the manual link seems to not work for me. I'll wait till i get on my PC, it may be a flash issue (iPad user here)

Worst case go to any public library with the link, print from there then make an extra copy just to have around. Don will have the correct link to what you need. Most of these bikes are somewhat identical, just cosmetic differences.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,006 Posts
Worst case go to any public library with the link, print from there then make an extra copy just to have around. Don will have the correct link to what you need. Most of these bikes are somewhat identical, just cosmetic differences.
The FSM would be tremendously expensive to print at the library. There's a lot of sheets there.

It's a big file (actually a bunch of PDFs), too. Best to download it over a wired LAN, or at least wireless that you don't pay for by the minute.

R

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,006 Posts
Greetings to all!

New forum member and new CX owner. Just picked up a 79 CX 500 deluxe...

Welcome, Owen. Nice find.

It looks like you've found a somewhat rare 1979 CX500 Standard. My '78 was first titled in 1979, and because Custom and Deluxe are the only options in the Motor Vehicles database for that year, it's registered as a '79 Deluxe. Honda pulled the Standard model from the North American market early in 1979, and replaced it with the Custom and Deluxe. I've only seen a couple examples of a true '79 Standard.

On the DS front, I've started a long-term adventure bike project based on a GL500. I haven't done much on it over the winter, besides think about it and pine for warm weather. Panther is building one on a GL650. There's a guy in Colorado who completed one on a CX500 Custom. There are a few others out there that don't come to mind at the moment.

R

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome, Owen. Nice find.

It looks like you've found a somewhat rare 1979 CX500 Standard. My '78 was first titled in 1979, and because Custom and Deluxe are the only options in the Motor Vehicles database for that year, it's registered as a '79 Deluxe. Honda pulled the Standard model from the North American market early in 1979, and replaced it with the Custom and Deluxe. I've only seen a couple examples of a true '79 Standard.

On the DS front, I've started a long-term adventure bike project based on a GL500. I haven't done much on it over the winter, besides think about it and pine for warm weather. Panther is building one on a GL650. There's a guy in Colorado who completed one on a CX500 Custom. There are a few others out there that don't come to mind at the moment.

R

Wow awsome thread thanks Randall.

I love the dual high pipes on the blue brit one. I was starting to feel guilty about doing this to my CX if the Standard is a rare as you imply ............. then I saw all your pictures! The PO had done all the paperwork and inspections to obtain Vintage Plates so I know its all original, well except for the duct tape hey.

Love the Red/White/blue one too.

I'll post up some build pictures when I have some thing worth posting.

Owen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts