Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New guy here with an '83 650 Turbo. I've really been enjoying it. Just rode it down Hwy 1 in California to Big Sur.
Very nice complete bike, but missing the original pressure gauge. For some reason, I'd like to find a correct one. Seen different ones with all black numbers and some with black and red. Some with silver background and some with white.
Any thoughts on what my bike came with? Did they come with a pouch too? Lastly, does anyone have one for sale?Thanks.
Keno

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Once you find the partnumber...you may find these are still available Oem...from japan at least if not locally..

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,741 Posts
BTW: Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
699 Posts
Once you find the partnumber...you may find these are still available Oem...from japan at least if not locally..
Been to long ago for my tired brain but I sold one on the forum. Can't recall details but believe they were included around 82 (I have had 5 silverwings & several had the gauge. Internet had some from Japan & China . I assumed The Jap ones were original. I also heard around 82 were with some Goldwing tool kits. Think Partzilla had them listed. One of the Canada guys bought one of mine-he was better informed than me so maybe he will respond. Paul

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Ive seen them listed as a Cx500t part with part# on webbike Japan....
Posting a request for more info on the turbo page might get a quick response...

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
See the cx500T page on Partzilla. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1982/cx500tc-a-500-turbo/tools
Partzilla lists three tire pressure gauges,

and the pouch,

Paul I may be the one who bought the gauge from you. Recently I found gauge and pouch in my GL500 Interstate.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,741 Posts
I have no idea whether the ones Partzilla has or Honda currently supplies are any better but the gauges that Honda supplied in the '80s are not what you would call a premium item. It might be nice to have one to complete the tool kit but for regular use there are a lot of better ones for a $10 or less.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
699 Posts
See the cx500T page on Partzilla. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1982/cx500tc-a-500-turbo/tools
Partzilla lists three tire pressure gauges,

and the pouch,

Paul I may be the one who bought the gauge from you. Recently I found gauge and pouch in my GL500 Interstate.
I was pretty sure it was you but reluctant to name names.
Sidecar Bob is correct when he said best used as display-don't think they could endure regular use. The ones I had did come with pouch .Paul

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
It seems that the gauge you link has superseded the original dial type gauge.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Im not a turbo owner....
I have seen ebay list the dial type....
Partzilla as per you post seems to all show the "pencil type" for all the part numbers....

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Im not a turbo owner....
Partzilla as per you post seems to all show the "pencil type" for all the part numbers....
$34 USD for a pencil gauge??? WTF

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
Im not a turbo owner....
So it does. Interestingly the pouch for the tire pressure gauge looks like one for the dial type pressure gauge.???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts