Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Bob,
Your "Location and bike model" message should just be an auto reply message for new members. I know you, probably, have this saved somewhere. But, it might save you from having to add it to posts,all the time.

Just a thought.

EJ

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,233 Posts
I've been on bike forums for about 20 years now, starting with one of this forum's ancestors. I learned quickly that a lot of tech questions required the same answer and I was typing the same thing over & over so I started saving the best version of the ones that took a long time to type and saving them as a text files so that I can copy & paste, then edit to suit the situation. I have quite a collection of them now.
When I found myself typing in instructions on how to add the location & model info a lot I posted the best tutorial I could write up for that and when I found myself typing "Welcome to the forum. Please add..." sometimes several times per day I saved that as a text file too. I wish that message could become an auto reply but I don't think the forum supports doing that. We have asked the admins to make filling out that information a sign up requirement but that isn't possible either. So I copy, paste & edit it every time.

For anyone who comes across this thread and hasn't seen the message we are talking about, here is the currently saved version:
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.

I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

And if the new member has mentioned customizing I often add this:
The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,357 Posts
I'd add for first time or rusty riders (I unlearned many bad "self taught" habits.)
Take The MFS course:

MFS Basic Motorcycle Course

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,233 Posts
While the MSF course is highly recommended, the forum is worldwide and the MSF is a US organization. Here in Canada we have Canada Safety Council courses, other parts of the world have different programs.

But that is beyond the purview of my welcome message. Its intention is only to ask new members to add the information tto help us help them, get them thinking about how old their "new" bike is and point them at the Wiki.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just had a thought. Why not put your "Welcome" message in a Sticky, for this section.
At the least, it would provide a spot for linking, also. And, anyone could send a newbie to that post.

;)

EJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts