Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda CX650C - 30K Miles
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a CX650C with 30,000 miles on it today. It has a little bit of rust and some scratches here and there, but it's only my second bike so I'm not too upset! Rode it home and I'm loving it, but I have a few questions and would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

First, is there somewhere I can find or make a fuse cover? The bike was missing it when I bought it and it's not a huge deal but I'd like to cover them up.

Second, 3 of my blinkers won't illuminate and none of them flash, and my horn doesn't work. I've worked on a CM400C so I have some motorcycle knowledge, but I don't know where to start on this bike.

Skimming through a lot of these posts I see that there's a ton of knowledge here, so I'm excited to be a part of this community!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1983 CX650C, 1982 GL500
50 Posts
Hey, another CX650C owner. The fuse cover is no longer available, but it does interchange with the VT500 (per this link: https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/38210-ME8-000) so you might want to search ebay. NB: Partzilla is a great place to search for interchange parts, a lot of times you can buy a used part off a cheaper bike that isn't as 'rare.'

Here's a link to the wiring diagram: 21 - Wiring Diagram - 1983 Honda CX650 Custom Infosite

First, test your bulbs to make sure they're not burned out, then check the leads for power from the bike and continuity through the turn signal, and then replace your flasher. I converted to LED's a while back and this is the flasher I use: Electronic LED Flasher Relays for Motorcycle | Super Bright LEDs. You might have some corrosion in the bulb sockets, but a brass wire brush will clean that up.

Quick check for the horns is to just hot wire them to a battery to see if they work. After that, it's a similar story to the bulbs, check for power through each of the connections.

You may want to update your profile to include the year (obvious in this case) and model of your bike as well as your general location, if someone is nearby they might be able to help you.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,233 Posts
What he said^^^^

The missing fusebox cover could quickly become a big deal if something conductive on your keyring (like another key) happens to brush the wrong end of one of the fuses (as recently happened to another forum member) and blows the main fuse, leaving you stranded. I think someone on the forum mentioned 3D printing fusebox covers but I can't remember who off hand.
Until you find a replacement I'd recommend cutting a piece of a plastic bottle and taping it over the fuses to protect them.

But first check that they are working - that could be why your signals and horn don't work.
Note that the front signals also function as marker lights (they turn off when the signal is flashing) but since amber markers on the rear are not allowed and amber signals are more visible the rear signals don't have that feature.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,004 Posts
Another new member in Minnesota! Welcome aboard!
It's TheValk in New Ulm who is 3D printing a cover for his GL650. It was also he who (most recently) toasted the main fuse with an errant key in the open fuse box.
I can print a cover for you, but I'd need an example to copy.
Granite Falls is a good trek from the Twin Cities, but the members here will help you as we can.

·
Registered
1983 Honda CX650C - 30K Miles
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Update from today, got the blinkers working! Needed a new bulb up front and a new relay, then bought a new battery. The horns are totally dead and I couldn't get them to go with jumpers, so I'll just need to look at new horns.
Another new member in Minnesota! Welcome aboard!
It's TheValk in New Ulm who is 3D printing a cover for his GL650. It was also he who (most recently) toasted the main fuse with an errant key in the open fuse box.
I can print a cover for you, but I'd need an example to copy.
Granite Falls is a good trek from the Twin Cities, but the members here will help you as we can.
I'll see if I can find a cover or at least try to find the dimensions of one then I could model it up. Would a solidworks model work or what do you need for printing?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,233 Posts
BTW: Any 12V horn that has 2 terminals will hook up to your wiring and work so unless you are planning a show restoration you can use whatever is cheap. Horns come in high and low tones and are often installed in pairs (1 of each) but there is no requirement to have 2.

You could also use a horn with 1 terminal but you would have to use a relay.

·
Registered
11,004 Posts

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
If they were the same, I'd just measure the cover on my GL650.

·
Registered
1983 CX650C, 1982 GL500
50 Posts
I haven't forgotten about this, I've got the cover sitting on my desk and will hopefully have pictures and measurements tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts