Honda CX 500 Forum banner

New Member In Minneapolis GL500 '82 7,380 miles

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Fafnir 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings from Minnesot
I've been wanting a Silver Wing since they came out in the 70s. I lived in Japan from 1999 to 2008. When I moved back to Minneapolis, I saw a beat up GL500 parked on the curb of my block. It sent me to the Internet to see if they were still being made. I was sad to see the name was now put on a scooter. Anyway, I started an automatic Craig's list search then, and get periodic alters about Sliver Wings for sale nearby. They kept popping up, but nothing grabbed me.

Last year, I was walking my Akita, Momo, and the neighbor across the alley was working in his garage. I saw a dusty bike in the back corner of the space and asked what it was. He said an old Honda Silver Wing, he hadn't ridden since his 14 year old daughter was born. I told him I'd been looking for one. He said, "You want it, you can have it!" I said, "Yes, how much?" He said, "Let me charge the battery and get it going." I said, "Okay!" Being Minnesotan, I didn't want to bug him about it. And I decided to occupy myself with an eBike and trailer in the meantime.

Finally, I caught him working in the garage and he asked me if I was still interested in the Bike. I said, "Jean talked me into an electric bike and I have been customizing one. How much do you want for it?" He is British and said in his Carey Grant accent, "If you want it, it is yours. I'd get the title and sign it off. You'll probably need a new battery and clean the carburetor." I was gobsmacked! After the dog walk, I texted him, got the title and he helped me push it to my garage/studio.

I include photos, before and after soap and water. Now, I have two bike projects going!

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Automotive lighting
Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Motorcycle accessories Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
Dog Canidae Vehicle Carnivore Dog breed
Dog Canidae Vehicle Dog breed Carnivore
Land vehicle Bicycle Vehicle Bicycle wheel Bicycle part

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Old Okie! I did give my neighbor a tea ceremony bowl I received from a friend, made by a Korean master potter as a thank you.
Sometimes these things happen and there is no taking it for granted! I'm busy right now. I am not going to rush getting it on the road. What to do it right.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.