Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Just joined.

Came onto a great deal on an '81 CX500C from a guy in South Carolina. His job took him to China, now they sent him to Vietnam. So, he sold his bike. He isn't sure if or when he will return to USA.

Anyhow, the bike has been in storage for about 5+ years. Needs tires, fresh fuel, possibly stator (seller was monitoring it by resistance), battery....otherwise.....needs only a bit of TLC.

I have a nice Vetter QuickSilver fairing with bracket too. Thinking I may sell this....still contemplating.

Meanwhile, anxious for Spring to arrive.

Any suggestions on sources for tires or ignition parts (stator, pulsar, pickups)?

The bike has a nice set of Michelin Commander II that are barely worn, but the date code is well past the 5 year mark.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Howdy Newt! I'm over in Davenport. This is a killer forum. All the info you will ever need can be found here. I'm fairly lame about bikes, just like to ride 'em. Paul

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Welcome Paul.

Looks like I'm on my own for sourcing these ignition parts and a set of Michelins for this ride. I've got time to search, seems winter is prepping to give us a hard time over the next few days. So, Spring is months away.

I'm here in Cyclone country just north of Ames.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
RHSidePostPaint.JPG

Picture of my '81 Cx500C. Hard to believe it has 47,000+ miles on it. Previous owner did a great job on restoring to near OEM condition. the pic is from the seller's files.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Very nice looking bike. As far as new tires, I’ve bought mine from Chaparral on Ebay. I went with the Shinko 230 Tourmaster and have been very happy with them. They won’t last as long as the Michelin’s will but if you don’t put the miles on the bike in 5 years it’s a moot point. For ignition parts, there are better options than the stock CDI set up. You can go with the RaeSan system and then upgrade to the same stator that’s used on the TI bikes and have a more reliable charging stator and far more power to run accessories. Google both of these subjects and you will have weeks if not months of reading available. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
When I saw that I said to myself out loud "holy cow, what a beauty!".
I have one just like it.
You will like it, it goes better than you expect from a bike that size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts