Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome to the forum Conniver dr
When you have a minute add your location to your profile, there may be a member close by that can help you out.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I must correct myself. I mentioned turbointernational.com. I forgot that they had directed me to pureturbos.com.

My last exchange with [email protected] was:
"We have access to the rebuild parts. We cannot convert it to watercooled. We can rebuild it for $370.
Thank you!
Pure Turbos
333 Airport Rd.
Oceanside CA 92058
760-721-7669"

$370, if their price is correct, is much cheaper than buying a used unit off eBay.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
My last exchange with [email protected] was:
"We have access to the rebuild parts. We cannot convert it to watercooled. We can rebuild it for $370.
Rebuild parts are the bearings and other small parts ( google : RHB5 rebuild kit )

Normally a rebuild is based on that the Turbine, Compressor Wheels and Housings are not damaged.

So the $370 dollar is 50 dollar parts + 320 dollar labour :rolleyes:

Yeah. Like I said earlier, it's a hybrid RHB5 / RHB3. On the intake scroll it should be stamped VG1.
I think an factory produced turbo can never be a hybrid ! Hybrid is the term used when people start to mix different turbo parts

I'm not so sure they're welded. When I inquired a while back about changing from foil to ball bearing in the center housing, I was told the ball bearing shaft was different from the foil bearing shaft and that the turbine wheel couldn't be pressed onto the BB shaft.
I am sure the shaft is welded to the Turbine wheel.

And yes there is a slight difference in diameter between the glide bearings ( RHB5 ) turbo's and the ball bearing ( RHF5 ) turbo's, so they don't mix/exchange

Have full paper Manual just not enough time . I have three other bikes I'm working on . I just reworked the carbs on my cavalcade just to find out my intake boots leak Sucks !! When I get it working right ..ill start on the cx500 unless I need more money then ill part the cx
A Honda Turbo bike is complex enough to keep it running. Rebuilding one from a basked case will consume a lot of more time !

Go to : rebuild-ihi-rhb5-and-add-carbon-seal and see how to disassemble your Turbo unit, take some pictures and we all can give more advise.

Also important go see if you have all the parts to rebuild, this because in our Turbo a lot of parts are used which are not longer available and can cost you a fortune to buy. :(

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
*Has 81custom drive around in his CX powered lawnmower with his yellow party trailers in tow, while I'm passing out beer, popcorn and other snacks*,,,,,might not know much about this kind of bike but this thread is sure interesting to read and learn from,,,,

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Just to keep this bubbling along - you have already told us of your busy schedule - take 5 minutes and take some photos - seems like you know how to take them, and give us some insight into what you are working with... it will assist with people who are trying to help or advise you - but if all you want is your answers - do some research for yourself. It seems to me like you just want to flip it anyway..

I'm out of the loop on this one.....best of luck

Reactions: Stan in Toronto

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
still here .worked on engine all weekend .little wire harness work also ill post pics as soon as my internet is back up all pics are om my ipad the engine is almost complete \but cant seems to find the bracket between the rear intake and case appears to look like a triangle hope i find it ..i just hope all this work pays off ..anyone do this type of project before ? pics ?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Rebuild parts are the bearings and other small parts ( google : RHB5 rebuild kit )

Normally a rebuild is based on that the Turbine, Compressor Wheels and Housings are not damaged.

So the $370 dollar is 50 dollar parts + 320 dollar labour :rolleyes:
Sounds about right, except I can't balance it.

I think an factory produced turbo can never be a hybrid ! Hybrid is the term used when people start to mix different turbo parts
You mean, like the factory?

I am sure the shaft is welded to the Turbine wheel.

And yes there is a slight difference in diameter between the glide bearings ( RHB5 ) turbo's and the ball bearing ( RHF5 ) turbo's, so they don't mix/exchange
Fair enough, I suppose. All I know is what they told me- it would be possible if they could press the turbine off the old shaft and onto the other, but they couldn't.

No point arguing.

Not everyone has the fortitude to tear into something with the expectation of spending $50-$100, and be okay if things get damaged and cost $1000 to replace, if they can be replaced at all.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.