Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 Suzuki V-strom 650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just purchased my 78 cx 500 as a second bike. Already having fun reading up on the forums about it, and its a blast to drive of course. It's a decent runner and not in show like condition but no crazy rattles or rust.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Already writing a list of things to do.

CX 500 to do list
  • NGK D8EA bougie
  • Glycerine for rubbers
  • Final drive oil (170cc +- 10 cc / 80w90) hypoid gear oil
    + grease (lithium based grease)
  • Coolant (2L)

• Carb rebuild? Having slow throttle response around 3k rpm, after that it runs fine.
(accelerator pump, vacuum piston,?)
  • Brakefluid dot 5 + Brake line front (motion pro)
  • Valve clearance:
Inlaat = 0.08mm
Uitlaat = 0.10mm
  • Fork oil (135cc / 20w) + fork protectors
  • Koppeling en gas kabel smeren (Clutch and throtle cable greasing)
  • Nokkenas ketting spannen (cam chain adjustment)
  • Gear lever seal

Good day everybody

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,111 Posts
Welcome aboard, Daan!
Unless it's a North American import, you're unlikely to find an accelerator pump. That was a US emissions concession.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid. DOT 5 is Silicone based and not compatible with DOT 3 and 4. Quality DOT4 is more than enough for our bikes.
I know, thats why I want to replace the brake hose also. And clean every brake part thorougly as well.
My neighbhour runs dot 5 in all his old classics and never had a problem with rusty cilinders again, since dot 5 is not hygroscopic. So that's why I am thinking of running dot 5.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,111 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
716 Posts
I know, thats why I want to replace the brake hose also. And clean every brake part thorougly as well.
My neighbhour runs dot 5 in all his old classics and never had a problem with rusty cilinders again, since dot 5 is not hygroscopic. So that's why I am thinking of running dot 5.
I had always heard not compatible with 3 & 4 seals. Our shop took it off self help & verified model & year to avoid problems. Are we correct or not?
Paul

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,449 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. If you haven't already, check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet).
You mentioned replacing the brake line. I don't think Motion Pro makes them so I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still looking into the dot 4/5 thing. Did not know about the seal possibly being damaged. But can not really see the logic behind it yet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. If you haven't already, check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet).
You mentioned replacing the brake line. I don't think Motion Pro makes them so I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).
Thanks for the comment and tips Sidecar Bob!

·
Registered
1979 Honda CX500C
99 Posts
Hi all,

Just purchased my 78 cx 500 as a second bike. Already having fun reading up on the forums about it, and its a blast to drive of course. It's a decent runner and not in show like condition but no crazy rattles or rust.
View attachment 211816 View attachment 211815

Already writing a list of things to do.

CX 500 to do list
  • NGK D8EA bougie
  • Glycerine for rubbers
  • Final drive oil (170cc +- 10 cc / 80w90) hypoid gear oil
    + grease (lithium based grease)
  • Coolant (2L)

• Carb rebuild? Having slow throttle response around 3k rpm, after that it runs fine.
(accelerator pump, vacuum piston,?)
  • Brakefluid dot 5 + Brake line front (motion pro)
  • Valve clearance:
Inlaat = 0.08mm
Uitlaat = 0.10mm
  • Fork oil (135cc / 20w) + fork protectors
  • Koppeling en gas kabel smeren (Clutch and throtle cable greasing)
  • Nokkenas ketting spannen (cam chain adjustment)
  • Gear lever seal

Good day everybody
I love that it has the original fairing on it!

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
164 Posts
Hi welcome to the CX board
DOT 5 brake fluid can be used in the older systems and the seals will work just fine
only one thing to remember. The system must be 100% free from any cross contamination like DOT 3 or 4 brake fluids
Yes it will not absorb water

The reasen for using DOT 5 brake fluid
Motorcycle guy's use DOT 5..It will not damage the paint if there is a leak
High end Cars use it. like some of the fast ones that travels on the Autobahn
Here in Canada the roads are not that good for fast cars
The DOT5 boiling point much higher then DOT4
There is a newer version out called DOT5+ This one is based on the same as DOT4 Glycol base fluid

My CX500TC will have DOT5 in it this spring when I have it completed
All the brake parts will be rebuild and clean

Good luck

TLD 🇨🇦 🇩🇰

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Welcome....
as well as greasing the final drive splines replace the 2-orings...one in the "wheel hub' under the flange the other behind the drive splines in the final drive..

(Welkom....evenals het smeren van de spiebanen van de eindaandrijving vervang de 2-oringen...een in de "wielnaaf" onder de flens en de andere achter de spiebanen in de eindoverbrenging..) apologies if google translate got it wrong...

re the brake fluid...some markets have the newer glycol based labelled as DOT 5.1...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@ the lost dane, ye I was thinking when im gonna take the brakes apart i want to switch to dot 5. I will have a look at the dot5+, but that is probably hygroscopic as well right?
@bahn88 Good one about the o rings, noted! Will have a look in the drawings where they are.
There is only one grease nipple on the final drive right? Does it have to be this lithium grease? I have some regular brownish bearing grease in my grease gun, really dont know what kind it is..but i reckon should be fine right?
Google translate actualy got it a 100% right, but to do this i would have to take the final drive off I think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love that it has the original fairing on it!
Ye it's in quite good condition. I only think that there used to be a small windscreen on it by the looks of it.
After I have all the technical aspects taken care off I might customize the bike, but still not decided on, first the important stuff.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Re the grease I use molykoteBR2 plus....
That was originally recommended for Bmw airhead splines....
Its lithium with moly.
Both on the splines and via the zerk/ nipple...
I just use a mini gun for these ..as its bout 50cc at most yearly....and buy the grease in toothpaste type 100g tubes to manually load the grease gun.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts