Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say Hello. I am new to motorcycles and to working on them. Just got a 1978 CX500 project and will have many questions as i work on it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome to the CX World and the forum my fellow Canuck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Greetings and welcome from Caledon fellow Ontarian and newb like me, we both certainly came to the right place. These guys are fantastic as you will find out fast enough. Have fun and ask away !

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Welcome, and nice to see another fellow frozen norther lol Im fairly new to this forum, but in my time here I can tell you the people here are great, helpfull, and smarter than a contenent of engineers :) Not only do the people here know the bikes inside out, they have totally amaizing creative solutions to almost every problem. Im so damn addicted now I come here as much as possible (when im not working or getting yelled at by the wife for ignoring her lol).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome! I'm at the very beginning stages of a triple bypass (stator, waterpump, cam chain). + starter overhaul + clutch, and maybe some other stuff. As I've learned today, these bikes are pretty easy to work on. If you're interested in seeing what a 650 motor looks like (once I get it off and opened) let me know. Same to all the Toronto guys. Maybe you can drive up to Newmarket and we'll have a beverage or two..

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome, greetings and cheers!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
fellow frozen norther

WTF is that.

You Torontonians are a strange bunch, and still hold faith in the Leafs.

Could be worse, could live in Oiler country.

Anyway, welcome Oldsman 500.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
LOL ..... Leafs ? Oh, you must mean that group of people pretending to be Hockey Players lol. Neven been a leafs fan, and since 98% of those I chat with online are from the US, T.O. is considered the great white north lol (and yes, I do get asked all the time if I keep my bike outside or in the Igloo lol)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome from Virginia! From Niagara originally, will be back up there this weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
where can I get a service/shop manual and owners manual for a 1978 CX500

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have a look at the Quick Reference topic at the top of the General Discussion forum. You will find a whole wack of info there. I haven't been able to find the actual shop manual for 78-79 CX500's...yet, but then again I am fairly new too. Hopefully someone can chime in on that please.

Here is the link to the manuals from one of the forum members sigs, thanks Blindstitch

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6EDVo72Y5BfMDEwYmExZWEtMzZiZS00YjdlLWFiODEtZDQwNmVlNDM5YzE2&hl=en

here is the link to the reference section

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/16-quick-reference/

·
Registered
43 Posts
where can I get a service/shop manual and owners manual for a 1978 CX500

Hello and welcome from Calgary!

I have an original, full shop manual for the 1978, but I sure as heck can't part with it... My dad bought it way back in the 70's after he bought his CX brand new. Don't know where to get a new one today. If you need any specific info from it, let me know and I will see what we can do to get it for you!

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
Hello and welcome from London, On.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome! I'm at the very beginning stages of a triple bypass (stator, waterpump, cam chain). + starter overhaul + clutch, and maybe some other stuff. As I've learned today, these bikes are pretty easy to work on. If you're interested in seeing what a 650 motor looks like (once I get it off and opened) let me know. Same to all the Toronto guys. Maybe you can drive up to Newmarket and we'll have a beverage or two..

thanks for the offer but Toronto area is to long a drive for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts