Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here from GA. I was just given a cx 500 and wanted to know if it was worth even taking it over. I don't know anything about the bike or cx 500s in general. I pick it up this weekend. I don't know the year but I do know it doesn't run. It's a project for me and my son. Or at least I hope it will be. I'm no mechanic or fabricator by any means but a bobber build is what were after. Am I being too ambitious? It's just really hard to turn down a free bike. So what am I up against? Are parts even available for these bikes? If I get it I'm sure I'll be on this forum alot asking stupid questions. I know I know....Google is my friend 馃槄

Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Getting it running is definitely good advice. The po had it running but he said that he thought the carbs were shot. I have a carb rebuild kit x2 on order as well as a battery and brake lines and an oil change kit and the boots for the manifold. I don't know anything about motorcycles but have always rode. I know less about carbs and engines in general so this should definitely be a learning experience.

Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is the kit I was referring to. Will this work or do I need something else? And you are correct about the intake runners. I need new ones because mine are hard as a rock. Where can I get new ones? I'm not sure how to post my info in my profile where it will show up on my post. I'm sorry and thank you in advance for all the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts