Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX500
14 Posts
Hi ChrisDiehl .. I paid $999.00 for a non-running 1978 CX500 (I did get a whole spare engine - so there is that, and the bike was also rebuilt into a cafe racer already), so you are in better shape than myself. I think you have picked a biased forum to pose your question to, and most, including myself, on here will think this is a great bobber build project for you and your son. In the forum here you can find most/all of what you are looking for.
What year is your CX500? I believe one of the first things you will want/need to know is what you have for an ignition system. I believe (I know someone here will correct me if I'm, wrong) CX500s from 1978 to 1981 used a CDI - Capacitive Discharge Ignition, and those in later years used the TAI (Transistorized) ignition system. The older CDI system is prone to a few issues, from the CDI-specific coils on the stator to the CDI components themselves. The guy that sold me my bike said it was running less than a year ago and all I would need to do to get it running again is to replace the CDI with an aftermarket system (it had already been replaced once). I'm just about to get that system all connected and ready to test - so we shall see. The next thing you will want to know is the state of your stator system, The great news is that there are lots of exchangeable parts from other bikes and lots of aftermarket parts for just about everything you can think of. If you haven't googled CX500 bobber builds - please do so. Some of the bikes are really impressive. For instance; ’80 HONDA CX500: CAFE RACER! | Cx500 cafe racer, Cafe racer honda, Cafe racer motorcycle
I think the CX500 could be a lot of fun for you. You and your son can learn quite a bit if you just take it slow and don't expect too much too quickly.

:eek: CXP edit test. :eek:

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX500
14 Posts
I see after I posted that you said you don't know the year and for some reason, I can't edit the post right now. That's the first thing to figure out -- the VIN should help you with that. Also, look at the engine's serial number to see if the serial number range is in line with the frame's year of manufacture. In 40 years - the engine could very well have been swapped for a later or earlier version that doesn't match up with the frame. This may help:: Honda CX400 and CX500 Engine and Frame Serial Numbers (motofaction.org)

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX500
14 Posts
Yeah ^^^ what they said; I think I kind of implied that without exactly saying it :). Definitely get it running and moving in whatever shape it's in first and then take on changing it (or not) to whatever you envision. By getting it running - you're most likely going to have to remove a bunch of parts (gas tank, side panels etc.), and get to know what makes it tick - what's essential and what's not. You will learn a lot about the bike and what you can and want/are-able to change or want to keep. The PO of my CX500 had a vision for it and I like 90% of his vision. I'm eager to get it running so I can make just a few small changes and call it my own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.