Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I live in Grimsby - N.E.Lincolnshire - England and have , for my sins , been riding bikes since I was 15. Since I am now 56 I think that even the slowest member can work out how long that`s been LOL.

AT the moment I own a 1980 CX500A that I am reworking into something different. She is not going to be a conventional chopper but will be more of a "bobber". I have fitted the front end off a Suzuki GS650 and the seat unit off a Yamaha Virago 750. The idea for this came a few years ago when I was working on her and I had the standard tank removed in order to work on the electrics. Under my workbench I had an old sportster tank that I happened to put on the frame because I stubbed my toe on it . When I looked at the bike I thought that the appearance suited and decided to do something about it. Bear in mind it was a standard machine at the time. The front end change came about because I was never happy with the front brake , it always felt "wooden" and the seat unit I thought would not suit the tank style.

Anyway back to the plot. Over time over things got in the way of the project and it lay on the back burner for a couple of years.

This past week I have rewired her with different switchgear ( GS125 ) , modified a 250 Dream speedometer unit to accept a water temp gauge and fitted her with a back rest assembly.

Yesterday I tried to start her after completing the wiring work but she failed to spark the ignition. After testing the CDI I think it is U/S and have ordered a replacement . This should be here in the next few days and if all being well I will have the bike running. Should these fail then I will modify the rear engine case to accept the later pulsars in order to get rid of the CDI and use the spark amplifier setup of the later models. The amplifiers are the same as those fitted to the GL1100 Goldwings apart from the length of the wires attached to them ( I know because I have 4 of these units as spares for my Wing and at present am using the units off the later CX in order to spark the engine ( on the wing ), I only had to turn them around 90 degrees to compensate for length of wiring ) .

I am now also repainting the tank and have to sort out the exhaust system. I will not be using standard silencers because I have a set of peashooters lying about under the bench and fancy the style.

I few years ago I bought an ALUMINIUM swing arm for a monoshock CX500 ( could be the 650 am not sure ) Unfortunately I have lost the details about the model it came from. My question is , does anyone know which model had this fitted to and do they know where I could locate a drive shaft for it. I would like to fit the arm to my CX500 in order to create a "stretched look".[attachment=422:CX 500 2.jpg]

I have the ability to sort out the suspension issues - converting twin shock frame to monoshock ( or monoshock arm to accept twin shock setup ) but would rather not lengthen a standard CX500 shaft - would prefer to fit one the correct length to start with.

I hope that somewhere within this forum there might be someone with the knowledge of this swingarm because I think that it would make for an interesting conversion and I would hate not to give it a try for lack of giving it a go.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated . Hopefully I will have the beast finished before the winter sets in - or the early spring at the latest.

I also own , and am a member of the Classic Wing Forum , a 1983 GL1100AD. This I have also played with and have converted it to a hydraulic clutch and fitted GL1200 luggage.[attachment=423:Side of Wing.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info about the CX turbos being a possible source of the swing arm. When placed alongside the standard steel one this aluminium one is about 2 and 1/2 inches longer. If I can`t get the correct shaft I may have to spigot and extend the standard one the extra length. I don`t see this as a problem because the car fraternity do this all the time when they modify half shafts for hot rods and stuff - I know because one of my neighbours is a car nut who makes this sort of thing.[attachment=425:CX500001.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Baldy from the green place next door.

Im also doing a similar type of conversion, more bobber than chopper. Im building my own prolink suspension using a shock of an SV650.

With regards to your no spark issue. Would you consider using an Ignitech unit. I dont know if you are aware of these but many CX owners are using them with great success.

I am a member of the UK CX club as well. One of the guys there (a genius) has sucsessfully extended the drive shaft on one of his projects. It has done many miles at this stage with no problems.

Good luck with your build.

Mike.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have looked into the Ignitech option but will try the spark amplifier route first because I already have the parts necessary .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.