Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 years ago, a friend of mine acquired a 1982 CX500TC turbo. He got it running, rode it up the street twice.....and parked it. And there it sat until yesterday when I purchased it from him and brought it home. The good news is that aside from missing some minor parts (right front turn signal lens, fuse cover in front of the handlebars, and a right side inner fairing cover) it is complete and in remarkably good shape for a survivor. The bad news is, well, remember those minor parts? And yes, I can see you all snickering and laughing. Yup, they are virtually unobtainable. So begins my journey into the unknown world of eBay and various foreign parts suppliers of dubious credibility. The little rascal has 20,000 miles on the clock and looks like it has never been tampered with, so is there anything in particular I should be watchful for? Any insight, suggestions, or advice will be gratefully accepted with many thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Welcome! Think of your turbo like an attractive lady - While these bikes draw attention easily, unfortunately owning one is more than average maintenance. Once you get it under control however, there can be many hours of enjoyment :)

These eat stators regularly every 16-25k miles. No exceptions. That machine will need one and its an engine out job. Just resign yourself to that first. While its out, plan on a water pump seal and since you are that far, a timing chain and tensioner along with 2 new NE sensors. Plan on sending the injectors out for service which will be about 100 USD. The turbo is maybe OK - wastegates getting stuck is very common. There is a mod for the Pb sensor that must be done- easy and cheap and resolves many rideability issues. Other than that- normal old bike stuff! These are high maintenance girls- but the dance is really worth it :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see I have a lot to learn with a bit of work in my future. Thanks for the info.....I think 😁. Just one question (for now, because I have lots and lots of questions), but how difficult is it to remove the engine?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Get a copy of the shop manual. Its available several places on this site. Get about 20 quart sized plastic bags and a sharpie. AS you remove parts, get them stored someplace safe where the kids/cat/dog /Godzilla/your drunken self, wont fall over them and destroy them. They aren't making more- so defend what you have! The fairing is fragile. About 4 hours of work you should have separation. Use masking tape and sharpie to identify matching connections to devices and vacuum lines to their homes. Best advice ever here. Its not rocket science, so don't be intimidated- most of us on the site have done one minimum. It's the fee to the Honda turbo club. Comes with a free patch and subscription to "Am I Crazy?" monthly magazine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome! Think of your turbo like an attractive lady - While these bikes draw attention easily, unfortunately owning one is more than average maintenance. Once you get it under control however, there can be many hours of enjoyment :)

These eat stators regularly every 16-25k miles. No exceptions. That machine will need one and its an engine out job. Just resign yourself to that first. While its out, plan on a water pump seal and since you are that far, a timing chain and tensioner along with 2 new NE sensors. Plan on sending the injectors out for service which will be about 100 USD. The turbo is maybe OK - wastegates getting stuck is very common. There is a mod for the Pb sensor that must be done- easy and cheap and resolves many rideability issues. Other than that- normal old bike stuff! These are high maintenance girls- but the dance is really worth it :)
I don’t mean to be a pest mate, but could you please explain what the mod for the Pb sensor is?

·
Super Moderator
3,889 Posts
I don’t mean to be a pest mate, but could you please explain what the mod for the Pb sensor is?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks reclinedrelic! I will be adding these FAQ to the WIKI soon, which will be a good resource for newer members. Thanks all for supporting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can see I came to the right place! When I first acquired my little Honda and started digging into the complexities of this mighty beast, I was intimidated to say the least, but I have found a support group/shoulder to cry on/psychiatrists couch/kindly professor (long story there) to help me in my time of need. Thank you all!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not to break the optimism too much, but...
if I was your bank manager I'd be happy now. There will be a lot of transactions going out of your bank account in the upcoming future. :cool:
However, if I was your shrink I would be sad. You've just acquired a mechanical friend that does a much better job than him...
Enjoy!

Reactions: nolimitz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to break the optimism too much, but...
if I was your bank manager I'd be happy now. There will be a lot of transactions going out of your bank account in the upcoming future. :cool:
However, if I was your shrink I would be sad. You've just acquired a mechanical friend that does a much better job than him...
Enjoy!
Thanks for the moral support mate😁😁. To be honest, I’ve been down this road before with other bikes.....kinda. The CX Turbo seems a bit of a different cat though. While other bikes (mostly British) have a parts availability problem, this is the first bike I’ve ever owned that has a ‘parts nonexistent’ problem, especially for a Honda. For instance, I need the entire air filter assembly....you can stop laughing now....so I will probably fit a Uni filter into the hole in the right side cowling. I need the little fuse cover in front of the handlebars, So I will most likely make one out of thin sheet aluminum or sheet metal. A replacement right front turn signal lens?.....don’t even ask. I’ve read almost every post on this forum concerning the turbos and have gotten some truly brilliant and inspired information on non-Honda replacement parts. Am I looking forward to this little mechanical adventure?......kinda...sort of...maybe....oh, what the hell...why not!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the moral support mate😁😁. To be honest, I’ve been down this road before with other bikes.....kinda. The CX Turbo seems a bit of a different cat though. While other bikes (mostly British) have a parts availability problem, this is the first bike I’ve ever owned that has a ‘parts nonexistent’ problem, especially for a Honda. For instance, I need the entire air filter assembly....you can stop laughing now....so I will probably fit a Uni filter into the hole in the right side cowling. I need the little fuse cover in front of the handlebars, So I will most likely make one out of thin sheet aluminum or sheet metal. A replacement right front turn signal lens?.....don’t even ask. I’ve read almost every post on this forum concerning the turbos and have gotten some truly brilliant and inspired information on non-Honda replacement parts. Am I looking forward to this little mechanical adventure?......kinda...sort of...maybe....oh, what the hell...why not!
Sounds like you're on the right path to lots of fun! Enjoy!!

Reactions: RichL

·
Registered
61 Posts
are you looking for blinker lens ? There is someone who made nice affordable repro ,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts