Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 1980 CX 500 custom project bike. Some real shade tree mechanic work was done on this bike including a new stator installed backwards.

Bike is now running with a new mechanical water pump seal. that was a bit of a bitch to jam into the hole!!

My goal is to make a clean low cost cafe / custom.

Glad to join the forum.

·
Super Moderator
11,468 Posts
And some more details? Mileage etc. Take a look at the links below, and edit your profile as per the Forum Settings link. The FSM is free to download, be sure to get the right addendum.

Welcome to the group.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to the CXiverse! I've had an '81 CX 500 custom for a few years. I just rode the second set of tires off it. Even my mostly-stock bike ( and it's pretty beat-up ) gets constant nice comments from passers-by in parking lots. If yours is "tarted up" you're probably in for a lot of approval from total strangers. Where'd you find your mechanical seal? I read or heard somewhere the ones for '82-on bikes are still available but before that the pocket in the rear engine case was ( supposedly ) smaller and would have to be bored out. I have an '82 Silverwing Interstate ( currently being harvested for organs to the extent possible ) and it's in need of the seal.

Some of the best-looking cafe bikes I've ever seen online use a CX 500 as the starting point. What will you do to it? New flanges and spokes? Lower the front end? Mine's transportation ( though it has upside-down Clubman bars because I got tired of the sore-neck thing from humping the tank at speed--seems to get me 2-3 more mpg and it's a lot warmer when the temperatures are below freezing ;'). I thought my fork seals had started leaking and I was in for that again but it was just freezing-rain bumps on the fork stanchions making a rough-unsealable surface and now they're working just fine. I'm always learning things with this bike. I love mine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Aloha!

Welcome. My summer home is in Ohio, north of you a bit.

Would LOVE to see pics of your bike!

-3Sport

1 - 5 of 5 Posts