Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I recently inherited a 1981 Silverwing GL500 Interstate. Its in great shape but needs a few things to make it road worthy, the most significant being tubes for the front forks. Part #51410-DAI-003. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to acquire them? Would really appreciate some assistance...

·
Super Moderator
4,405 Posts
Are the front forks bent, rusted in the seal area, have some other problem? If they are bent, as for example from a crash, then make sure to inspect the frame in the area of the head tube for damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip Mike... no they are not bent. When I inherited the bike, I had it delivered to a Honda dealership and they are telling me that it needs several things, the most notable being the front fork tubes. Honda no longer manufactures them, so that's why I'm on the hunt.

·
Super Moderator
4,405 Posts
You might try a post in the buying/selling section of the forum

·
Super Moderator
4,405 Posts
pHILb wrote "delivered to a Honda dealership and they are telling me that it needs several things, the most notable being the front fork tubes." I suspect that he might not know what is wrong with the fork tubes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Thumper - the bike is at the dealer and they tell me that the tubes need replacing. I assume that the are corroded. I'm not educated enough to have a technical conversation with them on it, but they say they need to be replaced before I can put it on the road...

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Ask the dealership what the part * edit I see you had it from other post# Part #51410-MA1-003)is for the item they say needs replacing. Have them take some pictures of them and email to you so you can post them here. We likely have more detailed resources to work this out.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
It will probably be a lot cheaper to replace them yourself than pay them to do it, but still don't know why they are condemning the tubes.

·
Super Moderator
4,405 Posts
pHILb when asking for help it helps if you have included your location and bike info in your signature. Look for the "settings" tab at the right of the forum banner. Click that link then on the drop down page, left side of page find the "edit signature link" Click that and update your signature.

Reactions: nolimitz

·
Registered
800 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts