Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W.C. Vance is making new and improved Silverwing Trunk Extender Brackets for our Vintage GL 500 & 650's

His email to order a set is [email protected]

He has been manufacturing NEW GL 500/650 Trunk Extender brackets and selling them on eBay for about $100 plus shipping - Over 20 have been sold.

$(KGrHqVHJB8FC3KwubhdBQu9iSNV4w~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16ZHJG8E9nyfoT)qBQu9mUGngg~~60_57.JPG

For CX500 Forum members - WC has agreed to sell these brackets at a member discount of $80 for each set and USA Shipping for $11. International shipping rate is whatever a 4 lb. package is via First Class from the USA to their country.

These can be also be painted with a durable truck bed spray liner black coating for a $6 surcharge.

From WC's ebay ad: New Honda Silverwing Trunk Extender Brackets for Vintage GL 500 & 650's
Our company manufactures these brackets out of high strength steel, then primes and paints them. The brackets include everything needed: two brackets and two cross bars and also the 6 sets of stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts you will need to mount your trunk to your bikes seat and factory bracket.

I just ordered a set from W.C., and will post some pics of the installation process.
- Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Can you please post a photo of the mount on the bike without the saddle bags or trunk mounted. I want to see where it is attached to the frame.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I install the brackets I'll be sure to photograph the entire process for the forum.

I'm also going to add an LED Running/brake light onto the rear trunk:
ledbrake.jpg
since w/ the extender it sits OVER the stock running/brake light on the rear fender.

Reactions: wildbill

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Forum Members -

It's been raining and I finally got a day in the garage, so I installed the Vance Trunk Extenders on my GL500i today.

I KNOW you guys LUV pictures - so I made a webpage of the install process and pictures.
The Link to the VANCE Trunk Extension Kit is: http://www.davidreiss.com/GLTrunkExtender.html

Feel free to ask any questions about the install while it's still fresh in my waterlogged brain.
Overall I would buy again - these brackets feel really solid on bike and the install was pretty easy.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
You know that the bars are meant to be bolted to the outside of the seat right? Your way looks cleaner but when you mount it to the outside of the seat it bolts on quick and then the rails lay on the underside of the trunk supporting it more.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the picture!
These are not the regular aftermarket chromed brackets though -
This is a new design created by a GL500i owner W.C. Vance.
The Inside Seat Mounting is part of that design - and does feels
well supported with the rails seated solidly under of the seat and trunk.
- Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
You know that the bars are meant to be bolted to the outside of the seat right? Your way looks cleaner but when you mount it to the outside of the seat it bolts on quick and then the rails lay on the underside of the trunk supporting it more.

I think you're talking about different style mounts!

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
I think you're talking about different style mounts!
Not really. The version being offered is a modified version of the mount I shown that has been produced since the 80's.

This new one mounts up cleaner if the bars are inside the seat pan but possibly lacks the support of the rails on the bottom of the trunk.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just received my set of the black style.Have a large trunk on the way!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
Hmmm, that photo up there looks quite familiar!!!!!!

IMG_0630.jpg

Joel in the Couve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts