Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined, new to motorcycles after a long hiatus. considering a CX500/GL500 to get back into it.

Great info here on the site.

Live and work in the north Oklahoma City area.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Welcome in- Do you have a bike in mind? Once in a while the buying/ selling forum has someone wanting to sell one....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome in- Do you have a bike in mind? Once in a while the buying/ selling forum has someone wanting to sell one....

There's an 81 Silverwing locally on craigslist, but I am waiting on pics and answers asking $800 says needs battery and fan blade. I've been reading up on the electric fan conversion.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
There's an 81 Silverwing locally on craigslist, but I am waiting on pics and answers asking $800 says needs battery and fan blade. I've been reading up on the electric fan conversion.
warm welcome.when you view it,take some jump leads,make sure it starts.oh,and a multi meter

·
Registered
762 Posts
Welcome - lots of these bikes around - wait for the one that suits you and don't overspend. We're here to help...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone. I understand that the meter is for checking the stator at the battery. I've been reading and learning. Big job to fix stator.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hey welcome to oklahoma what part of town do you live in i am off of NE 23rd i know a couple of guys here in OKC that have cx's and a couple of gl's i am wondering if the gl that you speak of is from a member on here but if you ever want to talk let me know

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i live at 23rd and rhode island we should meet up man

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's what I learned about the bike for sale. parked for 1.5 years. ran when parked. I assume parked because of broken fan. A little over 40K miles. What else do I need to know before going to look at the bike? Says brakes and tires are good.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
its hard to say what to look for have you read the check list on the quick reference

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

i would also try to rotate the engine to see if it even turns over even though it says good brakes i would still go over them if/when you get the bike the master cylinder could be/would be gummed up and so will be the carbs but if you need help with the bike i am willing to give you a hand working on it if it needs it i have a huge yard so let me know ok

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lucky, thanks

the owner says he'll be out of town a couple of weeks, so I'll wait and see what happens. Not sure I want a fully faired and dressed bike at this point.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
you could always take the fairing and all that off and then sell the fairing to recope some of the money you spent on the bike i believe all you would need to do is get a set of head light ears and a headlight and i think thats it but if that bike doesnt pan out for ya i do know of another gl that is for sale in okarche if you want they guys number let me know

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Hello Newbie, glad to see more interest in these CX?GL bikes in this area. We need to get a group together and ride somewhere. You should shop carefully and hope to find a runnung CX/GL to begin with. I don't think there any really hard repair jobs on these bikes, just time consuming and sometimes costly. These guys and gals on this forum have been very helpful with advice and also with help finding parts. I have done quite a lot of work on these bikes and would be available to help if needed. I have a GL650I in very good condition but it is pretty pricey, maybe more that you want to spend. I live about 30 miles NW of OKC at Okarche.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hello Newbie, glad to see more interest in these CX?GL bikes in this area. We need to get a group together and ride somewhere. You should shop carefully and hope to find a runnung CX/GL to begin with. I don't think there any really hard repair jobs on these bikes, just time consuming and sometimes costly. These guys and gals on this forum have been very helpful with advice and also with help finding parts. I have done quite a lot of work on these bikes and would be available to help if needed. I have a GL650I in very good condition but it is pretty pricey, maybe more that you want to spend. I live about 30 miles NW of OKC at Okarche.

and i can vouch for his work and bikes........hey okie got the trailer done just need to make one cut out of the square tubing and fab up a hitch.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tip. I've thought about the silverwing. I could just strip it down and either sell the goodies or save them for later., get some headlight mounting brackets and turn signals, etc. 40K seems like a lot of mileage, depending on the maintenance that has been done - it may need some costly work.

Okie,

I think I ran across your bike on CL (the 83 gl650) Very nice looking bike. Out of my range. Good luck with the sale.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts