Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just got a 1978 CX500. Its my first motorcycle and im pretty pumped on it.

Im more into the cafe look, so the first thing I did was take off the Windjammer. Im trying to figure what to do for a headlight now though. I actually dont mind the original cover/fairing thing on these, so I may just try to find one to put back on.

I love the lines of the tank on these Deluxe's (I think thats the right term for what I have).

I got the bike for a steal and it starts right up and runs. It seems to miss every once in a while while idling, so I may take the carbs off and try to clean them up a bit. Im coming from a vintage moped background (member of the Moped Army) and am pretty comfortable taking things apart and putting them back together. Im definitely excited to get started with this project.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Nice bike! if you do the carbs, I'd get Larry's carb book, he's our carb guru on the forum, and made a book that's around $25 or so with pictures and captions telling you exactly how to get the carbs good as new, the link to the book is here and a good list of things to do with a new bike is here If you have an issue, someone here knows the solution, if you need a part, it's probably for sale here. I see you've put your location in your profile info, which is 1 of 2 recommendations, also if you could put your bike in your signature line we can tell quickly what you have and tell you how to fix it, so we don't have to do as much research.

To get rid of the fairing, you need to find a headlight bucket and bracket, might be one for sale, not sure. I have a bunch of stuff for sale, but my parts bike came with the same fairing you have, so I can't help with that. This forum is great, there are many members who have done some amazing things with their bikes, choppers, cafe's, trikes, and full restorations that are amazing, some chrome or polish what you wouldn't think could be polished... There are some good people here that will help a lot, and a good chance someone will come over if you need a hand, or go for a ride, we're working on getting a couple MI runs together, and I've met up with 2 members so far, bought a GL650 off one, and helping the other figure out what to do with his project bike.

If you have a question about how to do something, try the search first so we don't have a billion topics about the same thing, like the oil, there's at least 10 topics asking what oil to use...

Hope you love the bike as much as we do, and the forum to!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks cdyoung. I noticed that you are in southwest MI, I actually drive to Kalamazoo every Monday for work and plan to be riding this up on the nice days!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
There's a member in Portage, and I'm in Hamilton, between Allegan and Holland if you're very familiar with the area, about 45 minutes north west of K-zoo. Do you just come up and go back Monday, or do you stay up here or what? Might be able to meet up sometime

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,068 Posts
Hey all, just got a 1978 CX500. Its my first motorcycle and im pretty pumped on it.

Im more into the cafe look, so the first thing I did was take off the Windjammer. Im trying to figure what to do for a headlight now though. I actually dont mind the original cover/fairing thing on these, so I may just try to find one to put back on.

I love the lines of the tank on these Deluxe's (I think thats the right term for what I have).

I got the bike for a steal and it starts right up and runs. It seems to miss every once in a while while idling, so I may take the carbs off and try to clean them up a bit. Im coming from a vintage moped background (member of the Moped Army) and am pretty comfortable taking things apart and putting them back together. Im definitely excited to get started with this project.

Lots and lots of people going through the 'cafe' look phase. I wonder if the time will return when the "Vetter Look" will return. Having ridden with a full fairing and without, the full fairing of some type is much better transportation experience to me.

Good looking harley cans.

·
Registered
60 Posts
yeah man I live right here in portage, I am waiting to get my bike running, hopefully by next week, lemme know whats going on man, awesome bike!! Have fun!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.