Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a new member introduction here. There is really no question in this rambling but more of an introduction and a bit of insight into my thoughts and what I might find here.
I am presently an owner of an old CX-500-C that I bought new way back in the early 80s. I am not sure if it is an 80 or an 81 model. I stored it quite some time back but I did did take any serious precautions for long term storage so my bet is it will not start today even with a new battery and fresh fuel. I know for a fact the exhaust was showing some rust when I put it up and I am sure time has not improved that so I will be doing at least a partial exhaust replacement. It is equipped with a Vetter IV fairing that was installed before I took delivery on it as a new vehicle. I have owned and ridden many bikes since I put away my CX but now am thinking about restoring it to running condition. I presently ride a 2013 Victory Vision as my daily ride and I ride it almost daily the year around. The rear turn signals are not holding up well on that CX-500-C and rotate fairly freely toward the road on their OEM stalks. Some of that may be because it had a luggage rack installed early on that failed and has been removed. I look forward to hearing from people how they have made the lights more durable in actual use. The bike has been garaged since the mid-80s so aside from some rust it is in fairly good shape. I am aware that new rubber components including tires and intake components will be needed since the stuff on the bike will have dry rotted by now. My intent is to give my Victory a bit of time to relax while I ride this old Honda for short rides of 100 miles or less. For the long haul, there is no bike that can compare to my Vision, not even a gold wing, but that is an entirely different use than the one I anticipate for the CX.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Take a few moments and check the links I have below, most notably the WIKI, and download the free FSM for your bike. You should find what year yours is by looking at the left side of the steering head stock, on the data plate riveted to the frame. On the opposite side stamped directly into the metal frame will be the frame serial number and should match what is on this data plate. The engine serial number will not likely match these, but usually are somewhat close. Once you know the year and model, stick that in your signature portion of your profile so we always know how best to help you.

The ignition type changed on the Custom in '82 to a transitorized system *TI*, rather than the CDI capacitive discharge type. The TI is a much more robust system comparatively.

What mileage do you have on it? And we love pictures, so don't be shy.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Welcome aboard.
As far as mufflers go get a pair of Harley Dyna mufflers. They fit well and are found for cheap. There are several posts about Harley mufflers. I did one with pictures. If the H-box has issues I would weld it up. It's out of sight so welding does not have to be beautiful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts