Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

As title states, I've never owned a bike before and I'm looking at a '79 CX500 local to me. I live in the south but this bike is local to where I'm working in the Midwest US. I've owned and wreched on my fair share of big and small Honda and Kawasaki ATV's, old and new European and domestic cars, etc, so I'm not afraid to learn about a new platform, I've just never gotten into motorcycles. This bike would be completely purchased as something to tinker with and joyride, I have other vehicles for "reliable transportation". Just looking for guidance as I'm totally in the dark on bikes. The bike in question is a 1979 CX500, at some point someone has tried to make it have the "cafe racer" look I suppose. The tank and rear fairings under the seat (?) Are painted a matte olive green color, white Honda print on the tank, tannish leather looking seat that runs all the way to the back. Bike appears nice in photos, doesn't look too ratty or neglected, but what do I know, I am the noob who didn't know what a cx500 was a week ago.

Seller states "Really cool looking bike and fun to ride. It starts right up and rides awesome. About 20,000 miles on it. $2500 OBO". After texting him he says it needs a rear tire and the oil changed soon. He also said the gauges are not installed, but are included. I could be overreacting, but that sort of raises concerns because I usually like to have tabs on temperatures on any motorized vehicle. Who knows

If I could get it under $2000, given it runs as great as he claims, doesn't have any alarming leaks or noises, and I get a feel that the guy maintained it pretty well, should I jump on it or run far far away? Anything major to look out for when I see it?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
3,892 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Without seeing any pics or knowing what has or has not been done to it, it's hard to make a determination. But, gut reaction to a bike that isn't even all put together for 2-2,500 sounds like too much. As reclined posted above, looking at the guide should help you out as well as others who will hopefully chime in on the matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the quick replies. When I get a second I will look over that guide. Don't know why i didn't upload pics with the original post... But here it is

·
Registered
355 Posts
personally, as a first bike, I would hunt for something in stock configuration. That price seems to be top buck for machine with unknown modifications.

·
Super Moderator
3,892 Posts
The images show that there is no fork brace. In stock form the fork brace is incorporated with the front fender. The stock CX500 forks are not the beefiest and really do need a fork brace.

At 20,000 miles the bike could be due for a cam chain replacement (engine out job) depending on how frequently the cam chain tension was adjusted.

I agree that the bike is overpriced, might not even be worth half the asking price.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I agree with getting a stock example as a first bike.
If you do pursue this one, take a look under the seat. It appears to have had the rear part of the frame cut away and (hopefully) a hoop added. How do those frame welds look? If they're ratty, that's likely the level of care taken with the other work, too.

Randall

·
Registered
355 Posts
where in the midwest are you, You may be closer to a nice CX than you know.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Or... you know... buy what you want. It caught your eye for a reason. Do you even like the look of a stock CX?

·
Super Moderator
14,074 Posts
The problem is that modifications can be like icebergs - you only see the tip and can't tell what's underneath. We've seen a few bikes that looked nice at first but had serious problems caused by ill advised modifications that took more effort to rectify than turning a good running close to stock bike into what the PO thought he was creating.

At approx. double the price of what a good running example should cost I'd keep shopping too.

BTW: I would say he was going for the army surplus look rather than a cafe bike...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, thanks guys, I think I've been talked out of it. I'm in Northern Nevada right now. I actually don't care for the look of a stock CX. I've seen pictures online of how I would like one to look, this one being somewhere between bone stock and what I want. There are now a few more concerns y'all have pointed out, which isn't that cool considering I haven't even seen the bike in person yet. I will continue my search. Thanks guys. Wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly

·
Super Moderator
14,074 Posts
When the time comes to get your first bike it is always good advice to get something that is close to what the people that knew what they were dping designed and use it for a while in that configuration so that t can tell you what needs to be changed in order for it to do its job better. You stand a far better chance of ending up with something you will actually use and want to keep for a long time that you do that than if you set out to make it look a certain way without studying how the changes will affect the way it works.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I don't know where in the MidWest you are. But these hondas are popping up on Craigslist here in minneapolis and wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Yeah sorry, being from the south, I consider Nevada the midwest. I'm in n Nevada
Haha! They say we are a good place to find low mileage old bikes because half the year, we ride snow mobiles. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all

As title states, I've never owned a bike before and I'm looking at a '79 CX500 local to me. I live in the south but this bike is local to where I'm working in the Midwest US. I've owned and wreched on my fair share of big and small Honda and Kawasaki ATV's, old and new European and domestic cars, etc, so I'm not afraid to learn about a new platform, I've just never gotten into motorcycles. This bike would be completely purchased as something to tinker with and joyride, I have other vehicles for "reliable transportation". Just looking for guidance as I'm totally in the dark on bikes. The bike in question is a 1979 CX500, at some point someone has tried to make it have the "cafe racer" look I suppose. The tank and rear fairings under the seat (?) Are painted a matte olive green color, white Honda print on the tank, tannish leather looking seat that runs all the way to the back. Bike appears nice in photos, doesn't look too ratty or neglected, but what do I know, I am the noob who didn't know what a cx500 was a week ago.

Seller states "Really cool looking bike and fun to ride. It starts right up and rides awesome. About 20,000 miles on it. $2500 OBO". After texting him he says it needs a rear tire and the oil changed soon. He also said the gauges are not installed, but are included. I could be overreacting, but that sort of raises concerns because I usually like to have tabs on temperatures on any motorized vehicle. Who knows

If I could get it under $2000, given it runs as great as he claims, doesn't have any alarming leaks or noises, and I get a feel that the guy maintained it pretty well, should I jump on it or run far far away? Anything major to look out for when I see it?

TIA
If you have $2500 to spend on a first bike go look for a good used CB500X. It will be the best 1st bike you could get. Worry about the CX projects later. The bike pictured is worth $500-$700 tops and not a good one to learn to ride on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts