Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me say that this website is great!

My buddy's dad recently passed away and left behind a 1979 cx500 custom. I got the bike for free but it's in pretty rough shape. It was stored in the back yard partially under a tarp for the last 8 years. All I really know is that it ran in 2002. It's covered in moss and part of the drivers side exhaust pipe is missing where it rotted into itself! It looked a lot better before I got it into my garage

I'm pretty much mechanically illiterate but want to learn. I can change oil and once adjusted the valve clearances in my DR650. Money is tight right know so I can't sink a lot of money into a lost cause. Is it worth it even trying to get this thing running?

Where do I even start without dumping money into this thing? I wanted to turn it into a cafe style bike eventually, there a some prime examples on this site!

P.S. this is purely superficial but eventually the vetter fairing has to go
Even if this bike is doomed I have to see it without that monstrosity. Do I have to buy a headlight mount? The headlight is part of the fairing. I hate the way it looks and it seems like it would be easier to work on the bike without it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
First off...welcome to the forum ! Hopefully, we can find a local member to help with some sort of resurrection. My bike sat for three years without being ran, I bought a new battery and changed fluids and it started with starting fluid. Up until this year I had less than a couple hundred dollars invested in a running bike. These motors are impressive.

Lots of helpful information in the quick reference posts at the top. Make sure and review those.

How about showing us some pics ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
What wootersen said.

I'd start with a cam chain tension and check the valve lash (make your own adjusting tool cheap)

I wouldn't even TRY to start ANYTHING until I had checked valve timing and lash, but that's just me.

Look at the plugs, a battery, a shot of "starting fluid" should give you an idea of the possibilities.

The carbs are most likely to need attention.

As wootersen said, everyone loves to see pix of a barnfind.

Good luck.

p.s. Mine had been sitting for an unknown amount of time. I DID squirt some light machine oil ( sewing machine!) into the bores before turning over by "hand" through the front crankshaft access port. Smoked like the Blue Train when I fired it up but that cleared after ten minutes or so.....

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Welcome to the group. I would say the place to start is making sure the electrical works. Turn the key and see if the starter does anything. If it moves I would skip several steps and spray a bit of starting fluid or similar item in the air box and see if it tries to chug. Starting fluid will only get you 2-10 seconds.

If it fires then that's good.

At that point I would change all fluids. Drain all the gas and check out the tank. Drain the carbs. If anything is in there it probably looks like jelly. I like to hear an engine at least try to fire before I go way out of my way.

Everything else is just time. But don't go customizing it without getting it functional. No matter what it's a dumb move. I have seen a lot of bikes that were junk have a nice paint job focused on them first and then the owner loses interest and dumps it.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Cool, another West Coaster! Welcome aboard! I might add to the above by saying even before you try to fire it up, make sure the internals are not frozen. Removing the crank bolt cover on the front of the engine, and turning the crank to make sure the pistons etc. are not locked might give you the first good feeling.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I wouldn't even TRY to start ANYTHING until had checked the valve timing and lash, but that's just me

Same goes for changing the oil/filter as well as the coolant. You'll also need a new battery.

Check the tire dates, cheap insurance to change them. You can clean the rest of it up in short order.

True Custom pipes are not easy to find but I think I've got a set of regular/deluxe that will fit.

Depending on where they're rotted out you can pick up Harley take-offs for next to nothing.

Plenty of universal headlight mounts out there that will work with the Vetter fairing assembly, I may still have mine as well as I went to great lengths to find a factory setup.

Take your time and you'll have a ton of more miles left on that bike, not to mention a great runner and conversation piece.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
When I first got mine it was somewhat like your situation, given to me for free and had been sitting for an unknown number of years. It was probably at least a month before I felt like I was ready to try starting it, I did like everybody said and changed ALL the fluids, made sure the brakes worked front and back, new battery, etc. Don't rush and first thing is get yourself a shop manual. Look at the pictures and read through it, get familiar with the parts and pieces you can see and ask here when you get stuck. Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
warm welcome from spain.the guys have given you great advice as usual,no point in me saying any more.

bring it back to life,its a nice rewarding challange,go for it,even if its on a shoestring

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

I have a buddy coming over tonight to look at it who is more mechanically inclined than I am. He had nothing but great things to say about those engines which got me amped up to take on the challenge.

The exhaust is rotted off just after the h pipe.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.