Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have long thought the Revolution engine used in the V-Rod is the best engine Harley has built since the Nova V4, and would love to see it in a sport tour. Harley seems to have plans for the Revolution because they are going to make 500cc and 750cc versions for bikes built in India.

The article can be found here.

The other interesting development in US built motorcycles is the Motus. Things are lookup up for the American motorcycle industry.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have long thought the Revolution engine used in the V-Rod is the best engine Harley has built since the Nova V4, and would love to see it in a sport tour. Harley seems to have plans for the Revolution because they are going to make 500cc and 750cc versions for bikes built in India.

The article can be found here.

The other interesting development in US built motorcycles is the Motus. Things are lookup up for the American motorcycle industry.

Cool, but why the chain drive? I thought it was supposed to be an advanced motorcycle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd much rather a Buell..

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
At first I thought the move to India was a terrible idea, but now I realize the American market is tapped out. I think I might buy some HD stock. Never really got the whole "mystique". To me, I'd rather pay $$$ for current technology and performance rather than outdated chrome. But hey, to each their own.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
In India... The only thing defensible about Harley is their made in america status.

These are to be made in Delhi, and might be at your local Harley Dealer at some point. Is Harley really an American company anymore? I will not be at all suprised if they shift all production over to India. They sell way more cycles overseas than they sell here in the USA.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
All the Vrod is, is a V-max knockoff... Only thing is Yamaha did it in 85, and they use a shaft drive... Don't get me wrong, if I could afford to get a new Wide Glide, I'd be on it, course I'd probably have to get a big bore kit, but I'm not nearly that rich... And it'd have to be BRAND new, so it doesn't leak too much oil, yet

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
With the mass lay offs in the past few years at harley is it really worth buying these assembled in America bikes.

I would prefer a Honda assembled in America over a Harley.

·
Read Only
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, but why the chain drive? I thought it was supposed to be an advanced motorcycle.

A lot of manufactures use chains in this class for reasons I do not fully understand. Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph etc... so its not really a technical step back but more of a choice. My interest is the liquid cooled engine and that is a jewel.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Overall I much prefer Chain drive it's super efficient very little power loss and modern chains are a marvel. X-ring and O-ring chains last a long while and very strong. Half the guys on this board would like to change gear ratios and with chain and sprockets it's easy and cheap.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My friend went through 3 chains last year, I need to change my fluid..... Course he was using cheap chains, but even so, I'll stick to shaft driven when possible. I know someone that hopped his harley up to the max, and he snapped his belt 3 times in a row, I think he did a conversion to a different method, bigger badder belt, chain driven, not sure, but I think he got it going, don't really know, the guy got to annoying because his Harley was WAY better than my Honda, even though he bragged about having 300 miles on it last year..... Friggin RUBs

Although you have a point with the gear ratios...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Stock they're as quiet as our bikes are, maybe even quieter, not sure, I think I removed my baffles from the exhaust pipes before going to the Harley dealer and firing up the Vrod, and discovering you could hardly hear it... Dealer said all of em come like that off of the floor, but 90% of people buy new pipes before taking it home... I don't like quiet bikes, which is why I ended up going with straight pipes on my CX, I at least TRY to be heard coming

·
Registered
798 Posts
With the mass lay offs in the past few years at harley is it really worth buying these assembled in America bikes.

I would prefer a Honda assembled in America over a Harley.
That is another thing I do not understand. It seems that more honda/toyota cars are made in america than GMs.

Harley will be heading the same direction, and this move will probably cost them a lot of their American following.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Did you hear about the new patent Harley has applied for? Apparently they have perfected a process that turns fuel directly into noise without the side effect of power! Genius

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Stock they're as quiet as our bikes are, maybe even quieter, not sure, I think I removed my baffles from the exhaust pipes before going to the Harley dealer and firing up the Vrod, and discovering you could hardly hear it... Dealer said all of em come like that off of the floor, but 90% of people buy new pipes before taking it home... I don't like quiet bikes, which is why I ended up going with straight pipes on my CX, I at least TRY to be heard coming
Has to do with local/state laws and noise level limits.

In Oklahoma it's illegal to modify the exhaust of a motor vehicle in any way that makes it louder than it was when it came from the factory but by the sounds on the road the police don't seem to care, of course they also drive at 90 mph right along with you on the Lake Hefner Parkway (speed limit is 60 or 65 depending on the part of town) during rush hour traffic. This is probably why we so fondly refer to it as the Lake Hefner Speedway. I tend to get a little nervous when someone is tailgating me at 85 until an opening appears on the right and they zoom around me, it's amazing how some people think just a few extra few car lengths is going to get them to the office or back home that much faster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd like a mid-sized, air cooled, fuel injected, balanced(not rubber mounted), shaft drive Harley for $7K(and $7K to buy it!) but apparently the Harley crowd does not or they would have made them already

So basically a modern Sportster but balanced and shafted. Who knows what the future will hold though.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'd like a mid-sized, air cooled, fuel injected, balanced(not rubber mounted), shaft drive Harley for $7K(and $7K to buy it!) but apparently the Harley crowd does not or they would have made them already

So basically a modern Sportster but balanced and shafted. Who knows what the future will hold though.
So you want an air cooled CX with a Harley emblem...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts