Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all.

I got a buddy's 1982 Honda 500 gl silverwing. That's needs some love. Work is slow so, I said what the hell. The water pump leaking. from what I read here You got to pull the motor, that don't look to bad. The front brakes are locked up. the master cylinder cover bolt was broke and someone put a sheetrock screw in it (nice) moisture got in and rusted the master cylinder and the calipar. I think a new master cylinder and calipar rebuild kit should take care of it.It don't look like they sell kits just parts? Gas tank leaks on the back side by your left knee on the seem. Looks like someone tried to repair it back in the day. the inside looks clean. I plan to red kote the tank. I've had good luck with red kote on snowmolibe and tractors tanks. Need tires I've never taken apart a shaftdrive to replace the rear tire. Whats the best way for tires? Take the tires and rims off and bring into a shop, or just bring the bike to a shop and have change the tires?

Any good online stores for the older honda parts? any good after market places?

thanks for the help Daye

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Welcome!

Just fix it correctly. Read Shep's method and you won't have to pull the engine for the water pump leak, another stock of seals is on the way but delayed by the weather.

Do us all a favor, finish your profile as to location and add a small signature line indicating model & year, could be someone around the corner willing to help. We're a very tight but helpful community.

Plenty of MC kits out there, sounds like you'll want a reservoir.

Be patient, we'll take care of you then you've got another 30K miles.

By all means read the entire sticky notes on the top of this forum.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi Daye, welcome.

Looks like you have a project ahead of you. Hope it goes well for you!

Some of us have replaced the master cylinder with a new one from an ebay seller. If you search in the Technical Help area you should find the guys name.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guy's Have a little troulbe getting around the site. trying to edit my profile took 2 days. I hope the seal gos better lol. I think I found the sheps method http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=355 Right? The yamaha seal is the way to go?

Looks like john @discount honda parts is the man? There price on the master cyl $161.00 I think I'll go with that.

Next is to reseach tires, gas shut off valve or petcock and seal rebuild kit for the front forks.

Thanks Daye

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Sounds like a lot more than others have paid for brake parts, don't rush into a purchase and you'll save money when you gather some more intel. Removing the rear wheel on 'Ole Shafty is pretty easy (will take a lot less time than changing your profile
) Remove the axle and the spacer and there is room to drop the wheel/tire out. The rear fender unbolts (2x10mm wrench bolts, one each side sort of under the rear seat) and the rear fender rotates up to give you room to get the wheel/tire out. Rear seat removal= unlock the two rear helmet locks and rotate the levers up/forward (sometimes this takes some force, never heard of anyone breaking them) and hold them both all the way up while with your 3rd hand you lift the rear of the seat and pull back and up. Your an "old hand" when you can do it with just two paws. The drive differential stays in place, don't unbolt it. Taking the wheel to a shop instead of the bike will save you considerable bucks. The toothed connection between the drive differential and the rear wheel hub should be cleaned of crud and lubed with Honda Molylube, a $pecial very high moly fortified grea$e. Inspect the teeth for excessive wear, these are sometimes shot on higher mileage bikes. This greasing should be done at every tire change. Regular grease will shorten the life of this spline connection as it sees a lot of force. As said, many of us change and balance our own tires, but many others do not, and we like them just the same.
If you can keep a 550FOUR running good, you'll have no trouble working on a GL500. And you might start looking for one of your own.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,052 Posts
Welcome, Daye.

Hey, you're pretty close by. Have you heard about the Spring Ride and Barbecue coming up on May 14th?

R

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
The water pump leaking. from what I read here You got to pull the motor, that don't look to bad.
I've replaced the water pump seal using both methods. If you have no other reason to be inside the case, Shep's in-frame procedure is fairly easy. I can lead you through it if you need hands-on help, or talk you through it on the phone if you prefer.

R

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've replaced the water pump seal using both methods. If you have no other reason to be inside the case, Shep's in-frame procedure is fairly easy. I can lead you through it if you need hands-on help, or talk you through it on the phone if you prefer.

R
sound good. I have not heard about that ride. I likey bbq

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well today I place an order with discount honda parts. I'm not sure who I talked to maybe john. Anyway super cool and helpful. This guy is the bomb! The master cylinder is discontinued, so I just ordered the the parts I needed. I was trying to take the easy way out. Replace the whole thing. Lucky drill out the old bolts and retaping went good. I read a sticky on master cylinders and didn't see anything on what to clean them up with. I scrap with a pick and soak them in hot water with some super clean in a purple bottle this stuff work awsome for this and genral cleaning.

Order the yamaha mech. seal from a local place a few miles down road for 28 bucks. Next week sould be go time

I trying to get some pics up

Daye

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[/url][/img]
[/img]

see if this works

nope
[/url][/img]

·
Registered
11,052 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
well today I place an order with discount honda parts. I'm not sure who I talked to maybe john. Anyway super cool and helpful. This guy is the bomb! The master cylinder is discontinued, so I just ordered the the parts I needed. I was trying to take the easy way out. Replace the whole thing.

Many of us have installed aftermarket master cylinders from a Ebay vender in Miami. He sells various finished (black, chrome, gray, etc) master cylinders and advertises them for various bikes. The bikes don't know what master cylinder is being used. I think I've got a Yamaha chrome MC on mine, according to his ad. But they work great!

This one here is identical to the one I put on my bike. Forget the fact that he claims it only fits GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, and GL1500 motorcycles. It'll fit yours as well. Also, if his price is too steep, look at his other offerings and you may find the same master cylinder advertised by him as fitting some other bike for less money. I paid around $75 brand new for my chromed one. The other finishes are cheaper as well.

Here's another example for half the price. Different finish; different bike (supposedly) but there's no reason why you can't use it on yours. Look at its specs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[/img]
[/img]

dry run trying to post pics
[/img]

I think I got it! here is the before pic of the master cylinder ( I hope)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any good suggestion for tires. I've been looking. It's overwhelming! don't want the cheapest or the best, just a good tires. More on the longer years than miles.

Look out boys and girls... I know how to post pics now!

thanks, Daye

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I've had good results with my Dunlop 404's, and usually can find them on sale. Two sets, accumulated ~20,000 miles over nine years, Good in almost all weather. Last set I got were roughly $140 for the pair.

Many swear on the Bridgestone Spitfires. You'll find many tire suggestions here if you do a search.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
did a little seaching the Dunlops 404 look like the winner. why can't I find the front tire anywhere? the sticker on the bike shows front 3.50 s 19 4pr the only tire I can find, is avon vintage restore tire?? I'm guessing the tire size change?? The rear 130 90 16 67s looks easy to come by.

Dennis Kirk looks to have the best price, but I have to pay sale tax. http://www.jakewilson.com/ Has pretty good prices with free shipping.

Is a 100 90 19 about the samething???

http://[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com

[img]http:///albums/ll277/tigmusky/gl500013.jpg[/img]

http://i290.photobucket.com

[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll277/tigmusky/gl500010.jpg[/img]

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll277/tigmusky/gl500010.jpg

I guess I don't have the pic thing just yet!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Your GL500 issues are way typical. Sheet metal screw in master cylinder? Check. Leaking gas tank? Check. Stuck brake caliper? Check. Leaking water pump seal? Check. Yep, these are problems we veteran CX/GL500 owners know well and know well how to repair them.

You've got a thirty year old bike so its prime time for refurbishing the front brake. That means caliper rebuild, new brake hose, and master cylinder rebuild or new. Caliper rebuild is way easy and a kit costs around $25. Brake hose cost me $48 two years ago. You know about master cylinders.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts