Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 79 cx500 custom for $200. It's in ok shape and with a little TLC she should be Lookin good. I put some fuel in the tank and a couple cranks and she fired right up. But obviously the floats are stuck cause she pissin gas out of the overflow tubes and exhaust. I really don't want to pull apart the carbs since I haven't done that in a while. Can I plug the overflow tubes and fill the bowls with seafoam? Or would I just be waistin my time. Ive got a 81 gl1100 as well but have never had a carb problem.

Here's my GL

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hi Acasper,and a warm welcome from spain.can you spend a few minutes to update your signiture.

include your bikes details and where you live

200 bucks,nice.

you are going to have to give your carbs a little care.also fit an in line filter to protect them.

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=140

its a step by step guide

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Welcome

$200 looks like a frickin steal.

Do the carbs right the 1st time and be done with them for a long time. Get Larrys' book if you need some help (LRCXd)

Nice rides the 2 you have there.

Good luck

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just picked up a 79 cx500 custom for $200. It's in ok shape and with a little TLC she should be Lookin good. I put some fuel in the tank and a couple cranks and she fired right up. But obviously the floats are stuck cause she pissin gas out of the overflow tubes and exhaust. I really don't want to pull apart the carbs since I haven't done that in a while. Can I plug the overflow tubes and fill the bowls with seafoam? Or would I just be waistin my time. Ive got a 81 gl1100 as well but have never had a carb problem.

Here's my GL

$200 Nice deal , looks like the previous owner drilled the front brake rotor. Does it have the stock single pot caliper or did he upgrade that too?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Congratulations on your new CX500 and welcome to the CX/GL500 forum.

Though not exactly recommended, I have had some luck filling the carbs with solvent and getting some improvement in operation. On the other hand, you have a Goldwing (as do I) and CX500's are about 100 times easier to work on in comparison. A newbie can remove the carbs from a CX500 in 15 minutes. Once the carbs are off the bike, you don't have to separate them. I recommend jumping right into it because it's already March and it's going to be warming up fast. You need this bike working soon and we on this forum will talk you through every step.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$200 Nice deal , looks like the previous owner drilled the front brake rotor. Does it have the stock single pot caliper or did he upgrade that too?

Yea it's got the stock caliper. But that disc looks good. I have a dual piston caliper that's layin around. It bolts up fine to my GL but only have the one. Maybe I'll see if it will fit the CX. I don't know what it came off of but it says Honda on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.