Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Anthony LaGrasta and I live in Mission Viejo, CA; grew up in Youngstown, OH and began riding bikes at age 4 and never stopped. After wanting one for some time, I found an offer this week I couldn't resist; 1982 GL500 for an asking price of $250. I managed to get it for $110! It's been dropped and doesn't run well at all and was rattle canned flat black. It also came with new tires, battery, two helmets, battery charger and leather pants and coat!

I stripped everything off I didn't want the day I got it and plan to get it running well for my next task. after that I will proceed to build it into a café style bike. Any suggestions, parts, etc are welcome.

-Anthony

·
Registered
97 Posts
You certainly came to the right place, the folks here know alot about these bikes! I'm somewhat new to my bike but when I run into a problem they all jump in with advice and help. Being the non mechanic has slowed me down some, but I feel with this groups help, I can tackle almost any problem that comes up. So, welcome and maybe we can learn from you too!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I've been reviewing a lot of threads on the customs, cafés etc. Wow, great inspiration. I can't wait to really dive into mine.

And no, please don't call me Tony. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
So I've been reviewing a lot of threads on the customs, cafés etc. Wow, great inspiration. I can't wait to really dive into mine.

And no, please don't call me Tony. Thanks!

We already have enough Tony's anyway.

Sounds like you have a project on your hands.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got the bike running, but it has some clanking in the right cylinder; valves? Any suggestions before I start tearing into it?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yep...

Check that CAM CHAIN and tensioner and while you're at it, it is HIGHLY recommended to put a new water pump mechanical seal in there as well.....both behind rear cover.

And yes adjust the valves....even well adjusted valves on these engines can be a tad clattery...is just the nature of these beasts.

Welcome aboard !

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rick, I'll start there and update this thread afterward. I really appreciate the response.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.